2: Me, Myself, and Time

After the evening at the Jonas household, I decide that it will be better for me and my surroundings if I just continue on with my life as if nothing is wrong. I will visit the Jonas family, work on my career, and still be perfectly happy, living as normal as possible: without the love of my life.

I have almost finished my 6th studio album called Tell Me You Love Me and have been hyping up my fans and followers throughout the summer. I've never felt this good about an album. Along with this, I just moved into the first house that I've ever bought and lived in by myself. Life has become so crazy that I've almost forgotten about Joe, almost being a key word. 

I still do visit the Jonas' from time to time but I have plenty reasonable excuses and it truly hurts to see Joe and Sophie. Their baby is due in November this year and I can tell that Joe is getting excited as summer is coming to a close. He seems to almost have forgotten about me. Yesterday was my 25th birthday, August 20th and he didn't even call. Why? But I guess I didn't call him on his birthday either, which was 5 days before mine.

When I wake up one day in early September, social media is going crazy. No matter what app I'm on, Joe and Sophie are trending and everyone is saying to pray for their safety. I decide to call and ask what is going on.

I choose to call Nick first because we are still pretty good friends and I've known him for a long time.

"Hey," he answers. "I'm sorry but I don't have much time to talk."

"I figured but I was just wondering what was going on with Joe and Sophie."

"Haven't you heard?" he asks. "They were hit by a truck while driving last night."

"Are you at the hospital?"

"Yeah," he replies, "Sophie might have to have her baby early due to high impact."

"That sucks. Is there anything I can do?"

"Not really," he responds, "just pray lots and I'll call you with updates, okay?"

"Yeah. See you soon."

I was not expecting this type of devastating accident to happen to the perfectly happy family. But I guess that all good things must come to an end. Still, if their baby is born 2 months early and doesn't make it, Joe and Sophie will both be devastated.

Nick calls again about an hour later.

"Anything new?" I ask, but immediately shy away when I hear sniffles coming through the phone. "Is everyone alright?"

"Um..." he starts, "I don't know how to say this, but Sophie died."

"What?!"

"Yeah, um... she had the baby and then died from a ruptured something or other from getting hit."

"Is the baby alright?" I question.

"Very small and weak, but at least he's alive."

"A boy? Is Joe alright?"

"As can be expected. I'm really worried about him Demi."

"Would you like me to come to the hospital?" I ask.

"That would be nice," Nick replies.

We hang up and I get in my car to drive to the hospital.

When I arrive, Nick is waiting by the entrance doors and brings me up to Joe's hospital room.

"How are you?" I ask him in a gentle voice.

He turns towards me and says, "Why would you care? You're probably glad she's dead!"

"I'm not. I'm worried about you."

"Just go away!" Joe orders and I sigh before leaving the room.

I faintly hear Joe and Nick talking but walk to the waiting room where Denise is waiting with the rest of the family.

"Joe doesn't want to see me," I say in a sad voice sitting beside Denise.

"He'll come around," she replies, "Would you like to come see the baby. I haven't yet but didn't want to go alone."

"Where is he?" I ask.

"The NICU, since he was so premature."

I nod and we walk to the maternity ward and go to see Joe and Sophie's baby.