4: Made In The USA

My manager, Phil, had a very hard time agreeing with me and the situation with the baby. I'm hoping to change his mind once he meets Luca. Today Luca is 8 days old and I have invited my family over for the morning and my team for the afternoon. My mom is super excited.

I wake up at 5 am to a screaming baby and grab him from his bassinet beside my bed. Once I've prepared a bottle and fed him, he calms down a lot. I get dressed, then I dress him up so he looks extra adorable and carry him downstairs.

I lay him down in his carrier beside me in the kitchen and quickly eat breakfast of my own before the two of us settle in the living room with the TV playing quietly in the background.

I watch Luca as he sleeps and can't help but feel extremely grateful. Of course I feel bad that Sophie died, but I got Luca in the process and love him so much that it's hard to comprehend.

Around 9 on the morning, my family arrives: Eddie, Dianna, Dallas, and Maddie. The four of them are immediately welcomed into the living room where Luca is still peacefully sleeping in his infant carrier.

My mom, Dianna, squeals before walking over and picking him up out of the seat.

"He's adorable, Demi," she raves, smiling down at the baby and sitting down on the couch between my sisters.

Eddie and I sit on separate chairs and I watch him as he watches my mom with the baby. I wish I knew how he felt about this whole situation.

Luca gets passed around from my mom, to Dallas, to Maddie, and then to Eddie, before going back to my mom. I have a feeling that they won't be leaving for a while.

"Poor Joe," Dallas says when it's her turn to hold the baby.

"Yeah. I didn't know what to do; he just kicked me out of his hospital room when I tried to visit," I reply.

We talk for a while and have lunch before they all leave.

"We'll be back soon, Demi," my mom says, obviously not getting enough of Luca.

"Okay. See you soon!"

My team drops by later that afternoon. All I need to do is convince Phil, Mike, and everyone that the baby is a good step for me and won't hold me back in my career.

I open the door holding the baby in the crook of my left arm. "Welcome," I greet, allowing them to step inside.

"Aww! He's so cute!" Kelsey squeals.

I smile. "Do you want to hold him?"

She nods and I hand her the baby.

"What's his name again?" she asks.

"Luca. Still Jonas because Joe won't do anything related to him at all."

"That's cute!" she says.

Mike and Phil don't seem overly impressed. I take a step forward. "Would either of you like to hold him?" I ask.

Neither of them reply and Kelsey looks more than happy to keep holding Luca as we walk into the living room to continue our meeting.

"Demi," Phil says, "I just think that... Luca will affect your career too much. You can't do as many things with a baby and I don't think people will believe that Joe just gave him up. What if they think you're his mom or that you stole him or something?"

"I can straighten it out. I promise."

"I'm still not convinced. Do you really want this baby to grow up like that?"

"He would have either way with Joe and Sophie for parents. I assure you: I can do this!"

"I guess we have to agree. But if too many negative consequences come out of this or if things don't work out, then we'll have to say 'no'."

"Okay," I say, happy that we've come to an agreement.

"Well, we'll see you soon, Demi," Phil says standing up to leave.

"Okay," I reply.

Kelsey hands Luca over to me. "Send me pictures of him," she whispers in my ear.

I hold Luca for a while before eating supper and feeding the baby.

After supper Phil texts me with examples of what to post about Luca but I mostly disregard them and make up my own post. Along with an adorable photo of Luca, I post a quote saying, "As many of you know, Sophie had her baby with Joe and sadly did not make it. At the moment Joe has given the baby, Luca, to me for caretaking. I will continue to work on my music, but for now the baby is a top priority for me. I hope you understand, Demi."

After posting, I turn off all notifications for social media on my phone and watch TV with the sleeping baby.

I could get used to a life of this.