11: In Case

Luca starts fussing and I grab him and a bottle to feed him.

"I guess you probably knew that was coming," my mom says.

"Yeah," I agree, "I was just holding out hope that it wouldn't. I don't want him to hate me."

"I'm sure he doesn't hate you," she assures, "he just needs time to get over it."

"What about Luca?" I ask.

"Just care for him as you have been. I'm sure it will all turn out fine."

A nurse steps into the room. "You seem well enough to go. Just sign these papers, then you can go home."

I sign my name on the line and grab Luca's carrier.

"Thanks Mom. I'll see you soon," I say.

Back at home, I realize that Joe came through and took most of his things. I guess that this really was it. I ruined it for us.

I try calling him once, but once he denies my call, I decide that it's probably better to wait.

---

I continue to care for Luca and try to act as if I'm cool with Joe being gone, but it's almost as if he took part of me away. I feel like Luca can sense that his dad is gone as well and I hope that everything will go back to normal soon. That Joe will forgive me and come back, even just to see his son.

A week later, Joe calls and doesn't let me answer properly before saying, "I feel ready to care for Luca now. I hope you understand that I want my son, not you. I will be coming by to pick him up. I'm not trying to hurt you, I promise, but I need to know my son."

I start to cry and hang up on him immediately.

When Joe comes by, I sob placing Luca in his seat with some of his belongings in boxes at the door.

"I'll miss you, sweetheart," I say to Luca before handing the carrier over to Joe.

"Bye Demi," he says.

I don't reply. The door closes. A baby who I had considered to be and loved as if he was my own son was gone from my life. I didn't even know when I would see him again.

Nick calls later that evening to say that he hopes I'm alright with Joe taking the baby and that he is still here for me. He says that if he's ever babysitting without Joe that I'm free to come over and see him. Although I would love to see Luca again, I can't. I imagine that it would be much too painful if I was just going to have to leave again.

Why do things like this always seem to happen to me?