12: Lionheart

-11 months later-

I haven't seen Luca for the past 11 months. Today is a special day, his first birthday, and Joe finally called me to invite me to his birthday party. At first, I wasn't sure if I wanted to step back into my past in that way, but I was convinced since I want to see how much Luca has grown.

I grab my purse from the table and head into the car to drive to Joe's house where he lives with Luca. He hasn't dated anyone yet, and just raises Luca by himself, with the help of his parents from time to time.

Once I arrive at his house, I get out of the car and walk up to the front step.

Joe opens the door.

"Hi," I say. There is an awkward tension between us.

"Hey, Demi," he replies, "Come in."

I step into the house and see Luca entertaining the guests.

"He's been learning to walk," Joe explains.

I smile. He's grown up so much since I last saw him.

"Hi," Denise greets as I step into the living room.

"Hi," I say back. "He's grown so much."

"I know," she replies.

Luca topples over on the carpet close to where I'm sitting.

"Hello, Luca," I say.

I may be imagining things, but I think he recognizes my voice. When he looks up at me, I almost cry.

I pick him up so that he's standing on his feet and he starts off again.

The party lasts for a few hours and once I'm preparing to leave, Joe stops me at the door.

"Demi! Wait!" he exclaims.

"What is it, Joe?"

"I want to talk to you," he says.

I follow him into the guest bedroom.

"I just have to say that I think Luca should be allowed to see you. I feel like he needs someone like you in his life and I really hope that you can forgive me for taking him from you," he says.

"I know why you did it," I reply, "And I do forgive you. But I'm sorry, I just can't see you without getting upset." I turn to leave the room.

"What if I told you that I love you too?" Joe questions.

"Do you promise that you mean it?" I inquire.

"I'm serious, Demi. Could you move in with us, please?"

I take a deep breath in and look Joe straight in the eyes. He looks dead serious.

"Okay," I say.

Joe smiles and we leave the room to find Luca sitting on the floor with his new toys.

"Thank you, Demi," Joe says.

"For what?"

"For reminding me that I still love you," he replies.

--------

And that is the end! I really hope that you enjoyed it! I know that it is a shorter story, but I am in the process of writing a book that is related to this one, although it technically won't be a sequel. Thank you so much for getting this book to over 400 reads so fast and within a week or so, the first chapter of the continuation will be up and it's called "I'm Only Human."

-IAmALovatic4Life