Professor Heartbreak

With everyone gone, I pulled the cork on every single Amortentia potion, smelling each one individually. Only one out of the group hadn't been brewed correctly. Not surprisingly, it was Seamus Finnigan's. Over and over I smelled the same aroma come wafting to my nose, and every time it made me want him even more. Where had he gone after I'd spoken with Fred and George?

Just then I heard someone enter the doorway, and there he stood, glaring at me with his black daggers. "You told them," he growled, coming inside as he slammed the door behind himself. The loud crash was enough to shake the candles burning along the walls. "I seem to be growing tired of telling you that this is a secret." His voice was thick, and dripping with annoyance.

"They're my friends, and I know they won't breathe a word of it to anyone. They've known from the beginning how much I've cared for you. They just want me to be happy." He scoffed at my explanation, shaking his head.

"You may be the brightest Potion's student I've ever had, but your intelligence towards common sense may make you the most dimwitted person I've ever met," Severus hissed as he got in my face. "What you have done is given them every single detail, and opportunity to go running to someone as nosey as Ritta Skeeter, and give her exactly what she's been looking for. If it hasn't occurred to you already, I'm not the most well liked Professor in Hogwarts. You may as well have handed her a perfect story on a silver platter."

"I can assure you that the Daily Prophet will never have our story, and if they do, it will not be because of Fred and George. Need I remind you that I am with child? That little detail in itself might turn a curious eye, never mind that it's yours. They'll be searching this school up and down to find out how it happened, and when they find out it's you the entire thing will blow up in our faces. So whether you like it or not, eventually everyone will know. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but one day soon, they will know." I scolded, refusing to let him take down my friends in the midst of his little tirade.

"Not until you're done," Severus demanded. "The Ministry will already be having a field day with the idea of having a student for a Professor. They'll believe the only reason you received the position was based on pure favoritism, and you'll be forced to compete for Potions Master. You may be able to keep up with the best of them, but the idea of two Professor's working together while maintaining a relationship could very well be the reason you lose your position. Not to mention the fact that you'll be taking care of a child in the process. No, perhaps it might be best for you to become a stay at home mother? It could relieve most of our problems, and would keep the Ministry at bay." It seemed as though he'd thought through every possible situation, which hadn't surprised me in the slightest. Severus never went into anything without a plan, and he always chose his words lightly.

"Is that what you'd prefer? For me to step aside, and let someone else take my place? I'm not some House Elf who will stay at home and clean up after you. This isn't out for debate, and I will fight for my position the same way you have fought to take over Defense Against the Dark Arts." I retaliated, throwing in my two cents. I couldn't stand by, and let him take over my life. Severus was the type of man who would walk all over you if you wouldn't take the opportunity to stand up for yourself.

"I do understand if you wish to continue on with your position. However, I need not remind you that you will be closely watched. I suspect the Ministry will be here before too long to check in on you, and if they find you in any way too close to me than your job as well as mine will be terminated. Not to mention our reputations will be entirely lost in the wizarding world." He acted as if this information was supposed to be informative, however, to me, it was merely common sense.

"Then we'll just have to give them nothing to suspect," I snapped, taking my things as I made my way out the door. I wasn't about to stand there and argue over the situation any more than I already had when there was nothing left to say. We'd both been in the wrong for starting this relationship and letting it continue, but as a Slytherin I was going to fight for what I believed in while doing whatever it takes to keep my job as Potions Master.