The Hospital Wing Awaits

The second I closed his door, I darted down the nearest hall, and began to sob into my hands as I laid sprawled out on the cold dungeon floor. After everything we'd been through together, how could he treat me like this?

"Miss Dawn?" A familiar voice whispered. The sound was comforting as I raised my head and looked into the eyes of Professor Dumbledore.

"I'm sorry, sir," I choked out, wiping the tears from my eyes as I attempted to stand up.

"You're alright," he said, promisingly as he took a seat next to me on the cold, hard, floor. "Does this have anything to do with a certain Professor?" He asked, nudging my shoulder.

"Severus chose Lily," I sobbed, throwing my arms around him as my tears began to drench his robes.

"There, there, child, it will all be better soon. I'm afraid Severus is merely coming to terms with what he's done. You have nothing to worry about," Dumbledore assured me with a smile. "He can be rather difficult at times, but just give him some space to think and all will be well."

"But I'll never be Lily?" I admitted, looking up into his half moon glasses. His glistening blue eyes always held so much promise. He could comfort a dragon into falling asleep before him.

"Lily may hold a special place in his heart, but you showed him what love truly is." He corrected, taking my hand and helping me towards the Slytherin dormitories.

"Thank you, Professor," I beamed, wiping the last of the tears from my eyes.

"Always a pleasure, Miss Dawn, and do remember that my door is always open should you ever need a friend." Dumbledore winked before heading back down the hall.

—————————————————

I woke up the next morning with no intention of going to class. Nothing sounded interesting, and I was too weak to get dressed, much less take notes all day.

The only problem with being sick meant that I would have to face Severus. Seeing as to the fact that he was my Headmaster, I would be forced to tell him the bed news. Which would undoubtedly end in another lecture, and I'd found myself dreading that as well.

With what little strength I had left, I pulled myself out of bed, and threw on my robes over my pajamas. He had seen me on some rough days, but today would prove to be the worst. My hair was a mess, my pajamas were wrinkled, and there wasn't a doubt in my mind there weren't bags under my eyes from all the crying I'd done the night before; not to mention the lack of sleep.

As I knocked on his door, I almost regretted not fighting through the day just to avoid this moment; but it was too late.

"Miss Dawn?" Severus hissed, sending a disgusted glare towards my choice of morning attire.

"Professor, I was wondering if I could miss my classes for today? I haven't been feeling the best," I stated, keeping my eyes to the ground.

"Does this have anything to do with your little situation from the night before?" He growled, indicating that he still hadn't gotten over our little fight.

"No, sir, I just feel really weak, and tired," I stammered before I started to feel light headed. The room spun around me, and I could feel the cold floor against my cheek as everything went black.

"Ella, are you alright?" Madam Pomfrey asked sweetly as she pressed a cool rag to my forehead.

I nodded slowly, attempting to sit up, but it was no use, my body wasn't strong enough.

"I'm afraid you'll need to rest up before you'll be able to move around very much." She explained, looking over me to make sure everything was the way it should be.