Chapter 13

A F I A

The door flew open and a wave of hope flooded my fear striken mind. The drunken man's head did a rapid three sixty degree turn. I was shocked, a thousand of thoughts doing the Olympics in my brain.

Why was he here?
How did he even know I was here, struggling to relieve myself of this horrid man.

The man who's focus was once on devouring my poor soul, turned his attention towards my saviour whose body stood frozen at the entrance of the door.

I found this as an opportunity to escape the hold of this man and shoved him away. I shoved him pretty hard because his body had hit the stall door.

He looked at me with fire in his eyes. I panicked, fear sketched on my face. The man walked towards me, taking slow deadly steps. I coward in fear and saw from the corner of my eye that his hand was in the air ready to slap me. My hands rose to shield my face from the impact. I was awaiting the slap but I didn't feel a thing. I peaked through my hands and saw that Khalid was holding the man's hand, stopping him from slapping me.

"Didn't your father teach you never to lift a finger on a lady?" He said and shoved him. The man was fuming with anger and punched Khalid square in the face. He fell to the ground holding his nose due to the pain. He stood up, blood dripping from his now red nose and punched the man. I was too scared to look but I could here the loud screams of pain and sometimes the faint cries of myself. I looked up to see that Khalid was standing next to the now unconscious man.  I ran to him making sure not to step on the unconscious body. I engulfed him with a hug while repeatedly saying thank you. He hugged me back and then pulled back. His hand lifted to me face, turning my chin left and right to examine if I got hurt anywhere.

"Did he... do something inappropriate to you?" He asked, his voiced laced with concern.

I nodded my head in a negative. "Are you going to tell... Ubaidullah?" He asked while scratching the back of his neck. I thought about it. Would Ubaidullah really care if I told him? Judging by the way he is acting towards me lately I wouldn't be suprised if he through a party instead of a funeral when I die. He might even get remarried and have tons of babies and he would think that I was a party pooper to his life. I shrugged the thoughts of and turned my attention to Khalid who was looking at me intensely waiting patiently for my answer.

"No."I said and saw his facial expressions change. He was shocked and his eyes wide, mouth open.

"Close your mouth, it's fly season!"I say while trying to lighten the mood. He gave a slow awkward chuckle.
"Why?" He asked. I just shrugged. I looked over to the unconscious man and questions like bombs filled my mind ready to explode.

"How... how did you now I was here?" I asked and tilted my head in his direction.

"Well, I was in the shop across from this one with Maryam. She wanted some clothes and since she's back from Malaysia and also she graduated she wanted to treat herself. So we entered the store and a colourful dress caught her eye. I stood outside busy with my phone and decided to enter the shop that you were in as it had a males section. I switched my phone off  and was about to tell Maryam that I was going to go there but I heard muffled cries. I walked closer to where the sound was and heard it coming from the bathroom. "

"I contemplated whether to go in or not but I did and found the door locked. I had a extra pin for Maryam incase she lost the one she had on her head. I fiddled with the door handle and opened it. Well... you know what happened next." He said ending it of with a sigh. It took me a while to let everything sink in. Alhamdullilah. I muttered and thanked Allah repeatedly for making Khalid be here at the right moment. Maryam was Khalids older sister, but Khalid always seemed like the biggest. Maryam and I were like sisters although she was a year older than me. She finished grade twelve while I was still in grade 11 and decided to study in Malaysia. I was sad that she left but in a way it was good for her. Khalid also left a year after her and I was left all alone. He also had another brother, Hudhayfah. He was 2 years smaller than me and Khalid. He was always the prankster and loved to prank me and I loved to prank him back.

"Khalid! Bhai! Cookie monster! " I heard Maryam scream from outside. I laughed at the nickname that she gave him. Cookie monster. She gave him that name because when they were small, they should always visit us as they lived right next door. We should always make choc chip cookies. He should sneakily steal her cookies and run of with them leaving her sulking behind.

I cleaned my face, getting rid of the tears and setting my scarf right. We rushed out of the bathroom leaving the mess that we created behind. She saw me and Khalid approach her and squealed once she saw me. I laughed and hugged her. When we came out luckily she had her back faced towards us.

"Afia. I wanted to come see you but this baboon of a brother of mine didn't want to let me. He said I must rest it out!" She said and huffed. I chuckled at her immature behaviour and heard someone calling my name. I turned around to see a furious Ubaidullah.

"Whose that guy and oh my Allah Afia you married and couldn't even invite your own sister!" She said while playfully glaring at me. She took my hand and turned it different places making the diamond glisten and sparkle.  She abruptly stopped and realisation hit her. "Is he your husband?"she asked while staring at him in awe. I blushed crimson red and nodded my head slowly. I forgot to introduce them. shit. I found Ubaidullah glaring at me but I ignored it.

"Ubaidullah this is Maryam. Maryam this is my husband Ubaidullah." I said while I turned to Khalid.

"Khalid this is Ubaidullah. Ubaidullah this is Khalid." I said and the men shook hands. I started talking to Maryam but from the corner of my eye I saw Ubaidullah giving me glares that could've killed me. Luckily Allah didn't want me to return back to my creator.  Oh boy, I'm in deep trouble.

¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤|¤

Hey my cuties, I just want to thank thamerafathima26 for commenting and voting. Mwah thanks a lot ;-). Anyway how do u like the book so far? Who do you like better Afia or Ubaidullah? 

·♡·Vote and Comment·♡·

··♡·· love muslimah786 ··♡··