Halloween Treats (OLD)

K.O. giggled as he skipped down the sidewalk, eager to get more candy. This was the first year his mom was letting him down the block by himself, as long as he came back to her afterward to go to the next block over.

He felt so excited, and he couldn't wait to go home to eat all the candy he had gathered. He was dressed up as a skeleton, one of his favorite things to go as.

He looked around the area for a house he hasn't been to yet, when he saw one in the corner of his eye. He ran over to it, giggling, when he quickly skidded to a stop. He looked at the house, which seemed to be somewhat old and worn out, with a dim porch light flickering every so often.

"I really want to get some candy," K.O. said, looking down at the ground. "But at the same time, it looks kind of spooky, I don't even know if they're home." He looked back up at the house and down toward his bucket of candy, and back up to the house.

"Buutttttt, the light is on! So that must mean they're home!" His eyes lit up with excitement. "They're probably just decorating their house for Halloween, I mean, it is the spooky season after all!"

He continued to walk toward the house, being careful with his steps to not break the porch more than it already was. Once he got there, he knocked on the door and held his candy bucket out, smiling.

The door cracked open, a pair of eyes peering out. "Trick or treat!" K.O. said, his smile getting wider.

The door closed, making K.O. frown. "Oh... sorry, sir," he said sadly. "I just thought you were giving out candy since you had your light on." He looked down at the ground and started to pout, taking baby steps toward the sidewalk.

While he was slowly walking away, he heard the door behind him open up, and he quickly turned around, a smile crossing his face once again. There, in the doorway, stood an old man who's appearance doesn't really matter. Use your imagination.

"Kid, look, I get it, you want candy, but I don't have any with me," he said. "There is some on the kitchen table, though, but the bowl is stuck to the table and I don't have the determination to know the mouse will get it one day."

K.O. just looked at the man, tilting his head in confusion.

"I'd be okay with you going inside and getting some candy if you want, though," the old man said, a smile across his face. "You can trust me, right?"

K.O.'s eyes lit up with excitement. He knew he shouldn't trust strangers, but he had a good feeling about the man. He giggled and walked quickly toward the doorway and stood in front of him. "Go on in, child, you're going to be alright."

K.O. nodded and stepped inside, and an unfamiliar smell filled his nose. The smell stunk, but at the same time, smelled somewhat sweet. The man closed the door behind him, and K.O. looked at him.

"The candy is over here," the old man said, pointing toward a bowl on the living room table. K.O. quickly walked toward it, reaching his hand inside. He pulled out a piece of candy that looked like an eyeball.

"Whoa, this looks so realistic," K.O. said, his eyes gleaming with amazement. "Where did you get it?"

"I made it myself," the old man said. "If you want, I can show you where I made it."

A huge grin crossed K.O.'s face. "Yes! Yes please!" He was jumping up and down, barely able to control his excitement. "I want to know how you made it!"

"Alright, come this way," the old man said, gesturing K.O. towards a back room. He followed behind him, eager to see what was back there.

"By the way, kid, what's your name?" He asked K.O., looking down at him. "Oh! It's K.O., what's yours?"