Checkmate

Veronica| Same day

"Did they just say LAPD" Kaylee questioned while staring at the tv. I looked up and the words Los Angeles police department was right there. I dismissed the thought of Tory being locked up too considering his picture wasn't up there as well.

I looked over at her and replied "Damn it sure do"

"What the fuck is he doing in Cali-"

A knock at the door cut her off, I got up and went to open it. The person on the other side genuinely shocked me. "What are you doing here" I questioned "How the fuck do you know where I live"

Tasha waved her hand in my face and pushed passed me. "That's none of your concern," She said walking into the living room. I quickly stomped in the living room behind her.

"What the hell are you doing here," Kaylee asked

Tasha looked back at me then smiled "Can we get some alone time my love"

"No," I said bluntly.

"Nah it's okay I got it," Kaylee said to me. I scoffed as I went to the room.

Closing the door, I walked directly to the computer. I turned the video on and the audio up on my surveillance cameras. I sat down and started to bite my nails as I watched them talk.

"Now, Kaylee you know I'm trying to do my best to guide yall through life through this tough time. It's been loss after loss for both of us" Tasha said. Kaylee stayed silent with a mug on my face.

Tasha continued on after a awkward silence"Okay well love, now that the only thing stopping me from seeing my grandson is in jail, I think u should drop him off for a while and let him get to know his grandmother," she said. Her energy was so fake. It was making me sick.

"What," Kaylee said with her face all twisted up. She got up from the couch and folded her arms.

"Well, I just figured he should get to know his family, I mean his biological family" Tasha replied

"He knows his real fucking family and it damn sure ain't you," Kaylee said raising her voice and pointing her fingers in her face. I felt like that was my time to step out but something to me to hold off.

"Well, the courts definitely wouldn't say that. Come on Kaylee you're a nineteen-year-old child that had money all her life, that if it came down to you losing your last dollar wouldn't know how to hustle to afford to feed this baby a dollar cheeseburger and a father who sells drugs up and down Harlem" Tasha shot back. I shook my head at the sight of Kaylee dropping tears. She always wore her emotions on her sleeve.

"Yeah, its heavy on the fuck you," Kaylee said. "Im the best motherfucking mother to MY son, oh and his daddy. You think you know my fucking life, ms.lady? Me and broke will never even be in the same sentence. One thing about it me and my son will be set for life and if my bag was to ever fumble that drug dealer gone come through every time. So please leave me the fuck alone, like why are you so pressed over my son" She yelled in Tasha's face.

"If you play your cards right I will. I have the right to see my fucking Grandson. First you take my son now Grandson?" Tasha shot back.

"Get the fuck out," Kaylee said leading Tasha out.

I turned my back from the monitors and went to look for the tape. Once I found it and played it, it hit me. This shit was all connected.

"Yo Kaylee listen to this," I said emerging from the room. When I got the tape to rewind back to the part I wanted I held it up and mashed the play button.