-12-

I was crushed. I had to leave. I couldn't face her tears and heartbreak, because out of all of the things I am as a person a coward is number one.

How could she think I didn't love her? That I loved Rika instead? My stupid, cowardly silence did all of that?

The air in the garden is cold and harsh as I desperately try to choke it down. I'm gulping like a fish with tears on my cheeks, trying not to vomit. I didn't even get to tell her my plan. I dry my eyes. I don't have time to wallow about how pathetic I am.

I walk back inside. I shove the door to Rika's room open roughly. She doesn't even turn to look at me.

"You're still upset with me?" Her voice drips with fake sadness. She mocks me with her fake pout, her eyes shining in delight from my hurt.

"She can't stay in the cells." I tell her side profile. "As upset as you are with her, we still have a mission. She has to be prepared for it."

It's like I'm not even in the room. I clench my fists waiting for some sort of acknowledgement.

"She can return to her room tomorrow and prepare for her date with your brother. I'll let her have the day so you can go over your mission one last time."

I shut my eyes in relief. Ideally I'd fight for her to have her phone, it'd be easier for me to apologize through texts. To hide behind a screen, that's what I'm best at. I'm sure Rika knows that, that's why she's been making me answer the texts from my idiot brother instead of allowing her. I'll have to make this work. "Thank you my Savior." I bow my head.

She finally turns to look at me. "I'm sure she'll be thrilled to have a final moment with you. Give her a nice goodbye."

 I nod, my blood as cold as her heart as I turn to leave.

It'll be a very nice goodbye, but it won't be our last.