Marshall's Failed Dinner

Hailie and I were sitting in a new restaurant in Detroit, having an early dinner, when I first saw her. She was serving another table their food, fluidly moving between the patrons as she laid out their meals. She was wearing the restaurant's uniform, the dark blue dress fitting her small body like a glove.  As she spoke with the other table's guests, she smiled softly - leaving me feeling like I'd seen the sun come out from behind dark grey clouds.

If I had to guess, she was just north of five foot tall. Her dark, chestnut colored hair was pulled out of her face, resting at the top of her head. A few pieces had escaped from the style, framing her delicate features. She had to be in her thirties, but as I watched her from from the corner of my eye, she left the impression of purity. As crazy as it fucking sounded, she reminded me of freshly fallen snow.

I did my best to pay attention to what Hailie was saying, but I was beyond distracted by the woman. As I pretended to listen, I saw her walk toward the entry of the kitchen and speak with the waiter who had been serving us. He pointed to our table and she gave a nod before leaving my sight. When I could no longer see her, I checked back into the conversation with Hailie, piecing the topic together before speaking.

"I'm glad to hear it's going well." I said. Hailie's smile brightened before she took a drink of her iced tea, her hands moving as she spoke.

"He's great, dad." She said enthusiastically. "I was kind of thinking that it might be time for you two to meet." She continued, her brows raised as she made the statement a question. I was about to answer when a slim wrist came into view.

I turned slightly to see that the woman who had stolen my attention moments ago was now serving us. From this vantage, I could see that her eyes were a deep brown with flecks of either amber or gold in them. She was close enough for me to smell the scent of cinnamon on her and she had that small, soft smile on her face.  As she placed our food before us, her eyes met both of ours and she spoke.

"May I get you anything else before you begin?" She asked, her voice low and smooth. I looked around the table, ensuring that I didn't need anything else and shook my head. Before I said anything, though, Hailie piped in.

"Maybe some more tea?" Hailie asked and the woman smiled again, leaving me staring. I had no idea what the fuck I was doing, but I couldn't seem to help it.

"Of course." She said. "I'll be right back." She promised and then she walked away, her hips swaying just slightly.

I took a drink of my water, letting my eyes trail after her as I tried to get my mixed up thoughts into some semblance of order. Hailie was talking again, apparently taking my silence to her question as a denial. She was making an argument for me meeting her boyfriend - like I was going to tell her no - and trying to get my promise to behave when I did.

Once again, I was only partially listening as my eyes lit upon the woman. She was carrying a pitcher of iced tea and walking our way, her eyes scanning her tables to see if anyone else needed anything. As she got closer, she missed a male patron standing and shifting toward her.

In slow motion, I saw him back into her, his much larger body causing hers to move suddenly forward. The tea that was in her hands flew toward our table and I moved suddenly, pulling Hailie's wrist so she'd stand to avoid being soaked. The tea drenched our meals, but missed us for the most part. As I turned back from our table, I saw our server on the ground.

I moved to help her stand up, offering my hand as a rotund man who looked to be in his fifties approached us. He was variously looking at me apologetically and glaring at the woman. He coughed, clearing his throat before he spoke.

"I'm very sorry, sir." I heard the woman say, her quiet tones nearly drowned by the man whom I assumed was her manager.

"Please forgive the intrusion on your meal. We'll get you new plates and a reset table right away." He said.

I looked around, though, and knew that dinner was off for tonight. When Hailie and I had come in, no one had noticed us. Now, however, there were several patrons eyeing us and I could see a few flashes of smartphone cameras going. There was no way we'd be able to eat in peace if we stayed, so I shook my head.

"Nah. We'll try again another time." I said, nodding my chin toward Hailie's coat. She moved to her chair to grab it just as the manager turned to his employee.

"You're fired!" He yelled. Without a word in her own defense, she walked straight toward the kitchen. I stood there in shock for half a second before I spoke.

"She was run into. It wasn't her fault." I argued and the manager looked at me with a bland expression.

"It's policy." He said by way of explanation and I breathed through my nose, unreasonably pissed by something that was really none of my business.

I offered my hand to Hailie and we walked out to my car, the crisp, late-October air hitting us as we got to it. Once inside, I pulled out of the lot and started driving when I saw a lone, tiny figure out of the corner of my eye. I slowed the car, confirming it was our server, and headed her way.

As we got closer, I pulled alongside her and lowered Hailie's window. I had to ignore the very curious gaze of my daughter as I leaned over her and called out.

"Hey!" I yelled. "You need a ride?" I asked and the woman stopped and leaned over to speak to me.

"No. I'll be okay. Thank you," she responded, but I wasn't having it. I stopped the car and popped out of my side, talking to her over the roof of the car.

"Come on. Get in. It's the least I can do, considering your day." I said and her lips twisted a bit as she looked back at the restaurant. I was actually holding my breath until her eyes came back to mine and she nodded. She climbed into the car and I did the same, catching her gaze in the rear view mirror.

"Where to?" Hailie asked and I nearly choked when she gave an address awfully close to where I lived as a teen. It was several miles from where we were. "Do you always walk that far?" Hailie asked and the woman shook her head.

"No." She answered. "My car is in the shop." The words had the ring of truth, but there was something in her eyes that made me wonder if there was more to the story. Nevertheless, I drove that way as Hailie and the woman continued to speak.

"Oh, I'm sorry!" Hailie said. "My name's Hailie. This is my dad, Marshall." She introduced.

"I'm Ellie." The woman said, her soft voice doing things to me. I kept my mouth shut, however. I knew that if I said too much, Hailie would give me the third degree.

Ellie's place gave me flashbacks when we got there. It was about as worn and beaten down as the place I'd once lived in and it squeezed my heart to see it. Hailie gave me a pleading look, but I wasn't sure what I could do. She kept at it when I stopped the car and so I gave a little nod and got out.

Ellie looked at me in confusion as I walked around to her side of the car and waited. I didn't say anything, though. Instead, I gestured toward the door and she nodded, walking up the path to the door in silence with me.

When we got to the front door, I stopped her with a hand to her arm. Her soft eyes looked up at me and I felt like I was drowning in pools of chocolate. I swallowed and glanced back at Hailie before I spoke.

"Can I help you?" I asked, unsure of how to word this. I knew better than most how pride could affect one's ability to accept something like this. Ellie shook her head side to side and raised her hand to my chest, resting it lightly there for half a heartbeat, before she stepped back.

"No," she said. "You've done enough already. Thank you for the ride." She glanced back at Hailie.

"I hope you and Hailie end up having a better dinner somewhere else." She continued, the sparkle of humor in her eyes for just a moment before she opened her door and spoke again.

"Good night, Marshall."