Marshall's Miracle

Paul was standing in the drive when I pulled up, Ellie in the passenger seat. I got out after I parked the car and gave him a nod, appreciating that he'd come, though I had it handled. Opening the passenger door, I unbuckled Ellie and then lifted her out. The hospital had give her a scooter thing and crutches, but it would be much easier right now for me to just carry her.

"No matter how many battles I been in and won, no matter how many magazines on my nuts..." Paul's eyes widened as he met mine.

"Is she?" He asked and I nodded.

"She didn't want a prescription, so they gave her something pretty strong right before we left. She's been alternating between talking and singing my shit the whole way home." I said as I walked us up to the door. Paul opened it and chuckled.

"Paulie!" Ellie greeted when she saw him. I could see him work to control the grin on his face. Ellie was high as fuck right now, and apparently, a very friendly high.

"Hi, Ellie." He said. "Sounds like you had a bad day." He noted and Ellie turned serious, her high exaggerating the swing of emotions.

"Yeah. Drunk guy thought that I needed a bone in a different place than its supposed to be." She explained, pointing to her casted leg. Paul nodded solemnly, still keeping pace with us as I walked her to the couch.

"You know the worst part?" She asked Paul as I set her down. I caught his eye and nodded to the other room. He gave me a slight nod, indicating he knew I needed to get some things together.

Ellie's voice faded as I walked into the kitchen to get a tray of snacks together. I could hear bits and pieces, though, as she explained to Paul that she had the kind of dress for tonight's party that was going to make me go all caveman. She was really disappointed that I wasn't going to be seeing her in it. I twisted my lips on the sound of her voice. I could fix that - there's always some kind of party or something happening in the industry. I'd give her a place to wear that dress.

Once I had a tray set with things to munch on, I walked back into the room. Paul was sitting on a chair to the side, keeping an eye on Ellie. She had stopped talking and was now back to murmuring one of my raps.

"Feel the tension as soon as someone mentions me..."

I smirked. Ellie was dragging out the oldies from the depths of her memory right now. Shortly after we'd started dating, I'd learned that she had a boyfriend just out of high school who'd been a fan. She'd learned a lot of my old stuff during that time. When they'd broken up, she hadn't listened anymore due to the association.

After we got together, she actually went out and bought all my albums so that she could listen to them with a different perspective. I would have just given them to her, but I didn't know she was going to do it until it had already been done. Although there were some things that I look back on now and cringe, Ellie seemed to find something on each one that she liked. I'd catch her humming bars when she thought no one was listening. 

Paul stood as I set the tray of food and drinks down on a coffee table by Ellie, waiting for me to toss a light blanket over her before he spoke.

"Everything at the studio is handled." He said quietly. I nodded; I'd called him while we were at the hospital to explain the situation.

"Thanks, man." I responded, running a hand over my head as I blew out a breath. "I can't remember the last time I was so fucking worried." Paul nodded and patted me on the shoulder. "Did anyone have an issue with my absence?" I asked and Paul shook his head.

"Nah. They all love her there." He replied and my lips twisted a bit.

"Yeah, some of them more than they should." I groused. Paul chuckled as we walked toward the front door.

"Em, you've got nothing to worry about with Ellie. Everyone can see how she looks at you." He noted and I glanced back to the other room.  "Have a good night, alright?" Paul asked and I nodded and then closed the door behind him, turning my feet back to the room in which I'd set Ellie up.

"Marshall?" Ellie called and I walked over and crouched to her level on the couch. I rested my palm on her cheek as I looked at her.

"Yeah, baby?" I asked and she smiled. She may be looped as shit, but she still turned my stomach over with that simple gesture.

"I love you," she said softly and my breath locked in my chest.

Ellie and I hadn't said those words to each other. We'd said about everything else, but there'd been something that had kept the two of us from speaking those eight letters in succession to the other. I swallowed, and despite knowing that I shouldn't, I took advantage of her present state.

"Why?"I asked, staring into her brown eyes.

"Because." She said, as if that were obvious. "You're smart, and handsome, and funny," she ticked off reasons on the fingers of her left hand. "You have so much emotion pent up in you, and you use it to create things." She continued.

"You rock me," she said with a twinkle in her eyes before they turned serious. "But all that is just part of it. I just love you. I could tell you a million reasons forever and I'd still never get them all said."

I closed my eyes and swallowed. My heart was pounding. When Ellie spoke, I could see the truth of it in her eyes. She fucking loved me and I nearly couldn't breathe, I was so in love with her. When I opened my eyes and looked at her, I found her looking at me seriously still.

"You don't have to say it back," she said softly. "I love you enough for the both of us." She whispered and I shook my head violently.

"No!" I said firmly. "Don't you ever think, for even a fucking second, that I don't love everything about you." I said as I climbed onto the couch and pulled her atop me, holding her face in my hands as I stared in her eyes.

"You're a fucking miracle, Ellie, my miracle." I insisted. Ellie smiled and placed a kiss on my chin before lifting back up slightly.

"You were going to like my dress so much." She said, a little regret seeping into her tone. 

"When you're all healed, you'll wear it for me." I promised and she nodded, but I could see that there was something else bothering her. "What else, Ellie?" I asked and she flushed a little.

"It was as much the dress as what was under it that I was excited to have you see." She admitted and I smirked.

"Well, those kinds of clothes are meant to be worn in bed, so there's no reason I can't see them sooner, is there?" I asked and Ellie nodded, her eyes excited, if still glassy from the drugs the hospital had given her.

"No reason at all."

A/N:  And that's a wrap for Ellie and Marshall. I have a few thoughts on a different short for Eminem, but I need to catch up on some reader requests in another fandom before I get to writing it. Until then, happy reading!