Eminem's Surprise

"Are you sure about this?" I heard Abram saying from inside my house as I walked quietly from the doorway to the living room. I sucked in a breath, hoping to fuck what my mind was telling me was going on really wasn't.

"Yes. I don't want him to know." Laine replied and I closed my eyes. That response wasn't doing anything for the boiling that was starting in my guts.

"Laine," Paul said, and I sighed, knowing that my woman wasn't fucking another man in my house. "Em isn't huge on surprises." He continued and I cocked my head. Now that I was sure that I wasn't going to find Man-Bun balls deep in the woman I loved, I was really curious about what was going on in there.

"I know." Laine responded. "But when was the last time someone pampered him, Paul?" She challenged. I smirked a little. I kind of considered our bedroom activities as spoiling me plenty. Paul got half a word out before Laine cut him off.

"Look, I get it. You still think he hates you." That must have been directed at Abram because, well, true. "And you have known him longer." That would have been directed at Paul. "But, it's his birthday." She explained.

"I know a surprise party wouldn't work. I'm not talking about a huge to-do with balloons and streamers. All I'm just asking is that you to get him to the track, while you get us in. You have my cards and I'll make sure you have the authorizations you need to get it pushed through. But, I can't do it.  He'll know in a heartbeat that I'm trying to keep something from him and I don't want to make him feel that way." She concluded and I smiled.

Laine had been so upfront from the very beginning with me. It was a relief and it made me feel badly about the thoughts that had streaked through my brain moments ago. I knew better than to doubt her, but sometimes your past leaves scars that still hurt. When I heard grumbled agreement from the two men in the other room, I decided that I should make some noise to announce my presence.

Walking heavily into the living room, I found Laine, Paul and Abram attempting to look like everything was normal. Laine stood from her position on the couch, coming to give me a kiss. I still wasn't convinced that Abram didn't want in her pants, so I may have had my hands on her ass in his view intentionally. I'm not above being petty and ridiculous when I feel the need.

"Hey, sugar." Laine said when we parted. "You're back early." She noted and I nodded. While I knew what was going on, I had to pretend otherwise or Paul would give it away.

"Yeah. What's up?" I asked, frowning slightly at Abram and then Paul. Abram shifted on his feet and I could see him trying to work up the courage to speak while Paul just sighed.

"I invited Paul for dinner and Abram swung by to drop off some demos for me." Elaine said, pointing out a stack. Abram nodded to me and then Laine as he walked toward the door.

"I'll, uh, get the other thing handled." He said to Laine, who nodded.

Paul stepped closer and gestured toward the kitchen, where I could actually smell something pretty damn good baking. I smirked. Laine had made sure that both of the things she said were true. Clever.

"Right. I'll get everything plated, if you two want to freshen up." Laine said as she moved out of the room. I'd quickly learned that Laine was a bit of a traditionalist about the dinner table. When she walked out of sight, I turned on Paul and raised a brow. 

He raised both hands in surrender and peeked around the corner, ensuring Laine was really out of earshot. Once he had, he turned back to me with a shake of his head.

"She wants to surprise you for your birthday." He said and I nodded. Paul could always be counted on to tell me things I needed to know, even if I didn't want to hear them. "I think you're going to like the surprise, and I don't want to ruin it for her, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't ask." He said quietly and I nodded, putting my hands in my pockets.

"Why's the douche involved?" I asked and Paul's lips quirked.

"Because Laine doesn't want any of the payment or other details coming here, and she won't use her office budget to do it because it's personal. She was trying to figure out how to make it all happen with the moron came by with the tracks." Paul chuckled. "He showed up at the wrong time, which gave her the idea to have him take care of it with her authorizations."

I smiled a little. I was certain it was hard enough for Abram to bring tracks here for Laine. He had nearly swallowed his tongue when she'd told him where she'd be staying a couple of months ago. To unwittingly find himself neck deep in helping her plan a surprise for me was probably a little tortuous. I'd feel bad for him if he hadn't proven time after time that he was just as much of a moron as I'd originally thought him to be. Laine kept telling me he had a good ear and was good with organizing things, but I'd just trust her on that because he seemed to suck at everything else.

"Dinner's ready!" Laine called from the other room and Paul clapped me on the shoulder. I looked at him and he smiled and shook his head. I guess I'd just have to wait to see what Laine had in store for me.

---

"Alright. So, you know what day it is and so you know I need to get you somewhere." Paul said to me several weeks later. I nodded and followed him out of the studio, curious about what was coming. As we stepped out of the doors, a limo appeared and I gave Paul a look. He chuckled and nodded toward it.

"Just get in. It'll take you where you need to be. It's about an hour from here. Laine will be there when you get there." He said and walked back into the studio, leaving me to get into the pretentious vehicle and be driven to who knew where.

Sure enough, an hour into the drive, the limo slowed and moved toward a large stadium. I frowned as I looked at it, uncertain what Laine could have set up. I was still confused when the driver took us to what appeared to be the entrance to a long, large hallway into the stadium. Laine was no where to be seen as the driver stopped and moved around to open the door.

I got out, looking around while the limo took off. Bare seconds later, a fucking race car drove up to me and stopped. Laine got out of one side while the driver got out of the other. I cocked my head, starting to connect the dots.

"Happy birthday, sugar." Laine said as she came toward me, her grin wide. She slid her arms around my waist as she kissed me, biting my lip a little and causing a near instantaneous reaction. When she pulled her head back, she kept her hips into mine.

"We'll be doing that later." She promised, her eyes conveying the very clear message. "Right now, you have a date with that very fast car," she pointed a thumb over her shoulder, "and that very empty racetrack." She concluded with a point down the long hallway. I stared at her in surprise for half a heartbeat before I grabbed her and lifted her against me.

"I fucking love you." I said, blown away. Laine grinned and nodded.

"I love you, too, sugar." She responded. "Now, go do something reckless, but don't get hurt." She instructed me and I kissed her hard before I walked over to the car and the driver, who was waiting with a fire retardant suit for me.

Once I was dressed, I slipped into the seat and put my foot into it, listening to the instructions I was getting over the headset in my helmet. It didn't take long to get the hang of it and in no time, I was driving at breakneck speeds around the circular track, having the time of my life. 

When I was done, Laine was standing off to the side with a grin on her face. She couldn't hold it in and nearly plowed me over as she threw herself at me in her excitement. I caught her, stumbling a little against the car and laughed with her. God, she made me feel ten feet tall. I pushed her hair away from her face as I looked into her eyes and smiled.

"Thank you, baby." I said softly and Laine nodded.

"Anything for my sugar." She responded as she kissed me.

A/N:  That's the end to Laine and Marshall. I've had a few suggestions for the next round. I'm toying with which to do. I'd guess I'll get started tomorrow on whichever one wins out. Until then, happy reading!