Eminem's Plea

I walked over to the windows surrounding the main area of the lobby while I waited. When I heard a door open to the side, I turned to see a man about ten years younger than I walking forward. He was in a suit, but he had tattoos up both sides of his neck and on both hands. There were plugs in his ears and his fucking man-bun was at the top of his head. If I disliked him before, I fucking hated his ass, now.

"May I help you?" He asked, a smirk playing at the corner of his lips. I nodded, rolling my jaw as my hand pulled out my phone. I'd handle this shit right fucking now.

"Marshall?" Laine called into the receiver, surprise in her voice. She knew I wouldn't call her when she was busy unless it was important.

"Laine, can you call off your guard dog?" I asked and I knew she could hear the anger in my voice. She paused for a second, probably trying to put the pieces together of what was going on. It didn't take her long, though.

"Hand him the phone." She instructed and I did. "Abram, this is Marshall. He is to have complete access." She said loudly. Abram's eyes, which had gone wide when I'd called Laine, turned to me in shock.

"Laine?" He questioned and I narrowed my eyes at him. I grabbed the phone and put it on speaker so I could hear her response.

"Complete access, Abram. If he asks for me or wants to know what I'm up to, you tell him. Understood?" She said and he looked at me again while he spoke.

"Understood, Laine." He responded.

"Good. Can you hand him back the phone, please?" She asked, her voice softening. I took it off speaker and turned my back to the douche.

"Yo." I said, still riding on anger.

"What's wrong, sugar?" She asked and I closed my eyes as my breath came out heavily.

"I need to see you." I responded, knowing I sounded like a fucking moron, but I couldn't handle all the shit that was tornadoing through me right now.

"Alright. I'm only ten minutes away. I'm coming." She said and I hung up and stuffed the phone in my back pocket and rolled my neck, trying to ease the tension.

"Uh, Eminem?" I heard Abram say and I turned to look at him. "Holy fuck, you are!" He said, pointing at me. I raised a brow but didn't say anything. He started to shift on his feet and I could see the wheels turning in his head.

"You and Laine are together?" He asked and I still didn't answer. He ran a hand over his head, messing up his pretty hair, and blew out a breath. "Aw, shit. I'm sorry." He said as he stepped closer. I stuffed my hands in my pockets and nodded. As much as I wanted to, it wouldn't do to knock his ass down right now.

"Look, Laine gets a lot of people who try to get something out of her. I try to keep it to a minimum." He explained and I looked away before I responded.

"Yeah, alright."

That was the best this douche was going to get out of me. I may appreciate his instinct to protect Laine, but I wasn't down with the knowing look in his eyes when he was trying to intimidate me. He thought he had Laine's ear and I wasn't cool with how much power he thought that meant he had. I had no idea if he had a thing for my woman, but he needed to understand his place - and it wasn't with Laine.

Abram took the hint and walked back through the doors to the side, leaving me to the view of the receptionist. I hadn't really paid attention when I'd come in, but as I glanced around, I noticed that she had several piercings. I smiled as I thought about it. There are a lot of people who lose it over things like piercings and tattoos, even if they have them themselves. There's still some bullshit out there about such things being unprofessional. I liked that Laine could give a fuck about that.

As I was getting antsy, Laine walked through the doors. She looked just as appetizing as she had earlier today and I couldn't help the slide of my hands around her waist as she came toward me. When her own hands came up behind my neck, I leaned in to smell her hair and got the first, full breath since Dre had told me about Eli.

"Come on back." Laine whispered. I kept my hand on her ass as she took me through the doors where Abram had disappeared and down a set of hallways. When we got to her office, she shut the door and looked at me, frowning slightly.

"What's wrong, sugar?" She asked.

I pulled her to me, kissing her harder than I should but I was still wound up. She responded, but didn't vie for control. Rather, she seemed to sense that I needed reassurance and kissed me as if she were trying to do just that. When I pulled back from her lips, I buried my head in her neck.

"He could have taken you from me." I said, my words muffled against her. I felt her tense slightly and then her arms squeezed me close.

"I'm alright." She said softly and I shook my head against her.

"I know. But you might not have been and it's fucking gutting me." I admitted. She pulled back, lifting my head from her with both hands as she looked in my eyes.

"He's in lock-up. He couldn't make bail." She explained. "I've gone through the steps for an order of protection and I have my staff lining up interviews for more security." I nodded, still unsatisfied, but mollified somewhat.

"Stay with me." I demanded. I saw her hesitate and I rushed to continue before she could argue. "I already told you I want all of you, Laine. Everything. It's quick, but it's not because of him. It's because of us." I said and she nodded, a slight smile coming to her face.

"You realize my feet are always cold, right? I'm going to stick them on you in the middle of the night and wake you and you're going to be pissed." She teased, her eyes dancing. I chuckled, relieved that she wasn't going to fight me on this and shook my head.

"I think I can handle it." I murmured as I leaned down to kiss her, this time a soft, slow kiss that conveyed my joy and love. I'd fallen hard and fast for this woman. I'd tell her eventually, but not when we were in the shadows of a conversation about her ex.

"Alright. I'll come stay." She said when our mouths parted.

"I don't like being without you." She admitted and I smirked, wiggling my hips against her. She laughed and cuffed me on the shoulder. "Well, yes, that." She said as her grin stretched her face. "But I also just love having you around." She said and I nodded.

"Good."