chapter 7

The Exile Queens house was huge. The trod dumped us in the middle of one of her hall ways, right next to the door leading to one of her sitting rooms. We ran in, knowing that the unseelie knights were right on our trail. She was lying luxuriously on a white leather sofa, puffing a cigarette, her long red hair spread out behind her.

"Darlings," she said, puffing a green panther at us. "what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Lea we need your help. We can settle the price later, but now there are unseelie knights tracking us and we need you to tell them we're not here." Keirran spoke quickly, looking at her pleadingly.

She smiled, looking rather like a snake just before it pounces. "Fine." She said and she waved a hand in our direction. A strange feeling came over me, like someone had just dropped a blanket over my head. I turned to ask Keirran what was going on but he wasn't there. I felt something grip my hand tight. I jump and was prepared to fight when Keirran whispered in my ear. "Calm down its me." Oh, I thought feeling stupid. I became very conscious of his hand curled around mine and pulled away. I didn't want to and it was taking every ounce of willpower I had in me to stop myself from grabbing his hand tight, but I wanted him to reject me and break my heart all over again even less. Just then the door flew open and the knights strode in, a hand in the hilt of their blades, prepared to fight. I had figured out that Leansidhe had turned us invisible by this point but I jumped even so. The Exile Queen raised her eyebrows as she stood gracefully.

"Is there a problem here?" her voice had changed along with the rest of her. If I had thought she was scary when I first walked in I was wrong. The air around her shimmered with power, no longer beautiful, but deadly. I was thankful she was on our side.

One of the winter knights stepped forward. "We are looking for the Iron prince and his mortal companions. The entered the land of the Mab, Queen of Air and Darkness, without permission, and must now face the unseelie court."

"And what makes you think they are here? No one enters or leaves this house without my consent. You are the first to come here in days. There is nothing for you here. Now I suggest you leave." Her words made it sound like they had a choice, though her tone suggested otherwise. They turned and left without another word. They were not foolish enough to stay in the presence of the Dark Muse any longer. She clapped her hands and a crew of redcaps appeared, dressed in butler suits with pink bow ties. I almost choked with silent laughter. They gave me a filthy look that suggested if I said anything it would be the last thing I ever did. "Follow them." Leansidhe said now blowing green smoke rings. She had returned to normal and was no longer throwing off some seriously scary vibes. "If they make a threatening move to anyone in this house or don't leave cut their tongues out." They turned to leave. "Oh, and make sure you don't get blood all over the carpet." She called after the retreating figures. They bowed, scowling, and left the room. She waved a hand at us and the spell that made us invisible vanished. I turned and saw Ethan and Keirran both struggling to recover from laughing fits as well. "Now darlings, what was that all about?" Keirran hesitated a moment before answering.

"We need to get to England and the nearest trod I could think of was in Tir Na Nog."

"But you had a change of heart and came to me." Leansidhe finished, not entirely accurately. The feeling of deadly power had gone as quickly as it had come. The power was still there, still powerful, but it no longer felt threatening.

Keirran nodded. "You have a trod that goes somewhere near parliament don't you?"

She nodded, blowing a dragon at us. "I do. But you can't use it for free dove. And you still owe me for saving you back there." She looked at Keirran for a moment before clapping her hands once again. This time, instead of redcaps, a group of half-faeries appeared. "I wish to speak to the Iron prince. Show the others to their rooms." They nodded and started to make their way towards Ethan and I. The man in particular stood out from the rest. He looked painfully familiar for some reason. He smiled at me. I leapt back with a scream.

"YOU!!" I started to shake uncontrollably as I backed away. "You murdered my father!"