Chapter 11

“Ready?” I took a deep breath and nodded shakily.

“Ready.” A strange tingling sensation took over me as Puck used his magic to transform me into a raven, much like the one he often turned into. ‘They can’t sense the glamour if it’s used from a large enough distance.’ He had explained ‘So if I transform you into something that will make it easier to get inside they shouldn’t be able to tell that glamour is being used until you transform back, so you have to wait until you are right behind them before you change back, got it?’ This was my one chance to try and save mum. Failure wasn’t an option. It was late in the evening, seeming as the way Pucks plan worked was we had to wait until the meeting was finished but not before they locked the windows. After each meeting they would always open the window to let some air in. An hour later they would close it. We had to wait until the room was empty but we couldn’t afford to wait any longer than an hour. It sounded a bit hit and miss to me, and it was the worst time to take any chances, but Keirran had assured that he was the best at what he did and if we wanted to save mum we were going to have to do as he said. Minus the slightly crazy over the top bits that would get us killed. After we had entered parliament we would have to somehow get into the dungeons kill as many forgotten as we could and rescue mum, all without getting killed. Fabulous. I can’t believe I went along with it, but I was desperate and desperation makes people do crazy things. Within minutes I was covered in smooth, glossy jet black feathers. I turned my head and found two more identical ravens sat next to each other. Great, how was I supposed to tell them apart? The one thing that didn’t change was our eye colour, but a fat lot of use that was as far as identifying them went as they both had blue eyes. The ravens took off, only to have one of them- I’m guessing it was Ethan- crashed straight back onto the ground. I’m sure if Keirran could laugh he would have been rolling around one the floor at this point. I stretched my wings as I prepared for flight. I pushed off the ground hard and started beating my wings like crazy. I managed to get up into the air, but I found myself moving jerkily and I struggled to stay airborne.  I looked at the emerald eyed raven flying beside me. Rather than flapping his wings like a madman he only beat them occasionally, letting the wind keep him up. I tried to slow the speed of my wings but it was actually extremely difficult. The second I stopped I instantly lost height. How did Puck make this look so easy? I tentatively spread my wings out to their full length and found the wind holding me up. I soon found out that I did still need to flap my wings, just not as hard or as fast as before, not when we were only hovering anyway. Once Ethan was in the air beside- he managed to look grumpy, even as a raven- Puck turned and flew towards parliament. We flew quite a distance behind him, struggling to keep up. After a while the large form of the London eye caught my attention, distracting me from flying for a moment. When I looked back I saw I had flown further ahead than Ethan and Keirran and was currently closer to Puck than I had been the entire flight.Of course I could never catch up to him though. He made this whole thing look so effortless. But then again I suppose it was. The less I concentrated the better I did. I wish the same can be said for algebra I thought, remembering the many times I had almost drifted off to sleep in maths. We soared over parliament, gliding effortlessly through the night sky. It was amazing. It felt like I was completely weightless, like gravity had no hold over me. All too soon we were landing on the windowsill. The moment Ethan landed Puck took off, flying away from parliament. Back to whatever he was doing before we disturbed him. We were alone. Keirran checked the room quickly. Empty. We soared through the large room and slowly started to navigate our way towards the dungeons.

***

We flew swiftly down the steps that led to the maze that they call a dungeon. Big ben started to chime, signalling midnight. We looked at each other, horrified, before flying towards the main area of the dungeon frantically. By the time we had reached the centre of the dungeon the twelfth chime had struck. The dungeon was empty, a glowing blue trod on one of the walls. Keirran changed us back swiftly and we ran over to it checking our weapons as we went. We glanced at each other nervously before stepping through the trod. We ended up in the middle of what was once an empty field in the nevernever. We were surrounded by fey, iron and forgotten as they fought. The scent of blood stained the air and the clash of weapons could be heard from all over the battlefield. The forgotten had kept their promise. War was here.