An Ode to My Lover, My King

'My Dearest Darling,
I am not as strong as I thought I was.
Since you have been gone
I sit and cry all night long
to dusk to dawn and I fear that they, our mourning children, can hear me.
Another day comes and once again, I have to pretend that I am strong in front of this sick Foundation that took you away from me.
As soon as the day is over, I can go home and quit pretending that I am strong.
I talked to Gears, I understand he had no choice in the matter. He has been helping me cope, the guilt he has with what had to happen to you digs into his shoulders just as much as my love for you compresses my chest in such ways to make them painful.
I sit and cry all night long.
I miss you.
We started with young love, rivals to lovers and in only five months you asked me to marry you.
I remember how large you smiled when I said 'yes.'.
I'm still amazed at how far that went, you and I and our polar oppositeness, I value the time we had, the good and bad moments spent.
Weathered through the storms,
Beat all kinds of odds.
I promise to keep your love with me, and you promised me the same.
Even when your spirit sits wherever you are.
"I'll love you forever,"
A promise we both made at our wedding and every day after that.
Now that you're gone and I'm here, stuck in this body in constant agony without you.
I'll keep your love for the rest of my days.
Forever is forever,
Even if I'm here alone.
Your love rains in my heart,
Even though you're really really gone.
I love you.
I'm just sorry that we'll be meeting so soon.'

A song plays, indicating a start of a walk, a bend a break and a shatter of a heart long lost when the words 'he's dead' first escaped emotionless lips.

A man sobs loudly, mourning his parents in shakey notes, arms wrapped tightly around a girl with bright blonde hair. Her sobs were quieted in her brother's shoulder.

One last chance to tell him all she wants, she just stands and stares, with her tears falling.

"Brother, I want them back..."

A bugle begins to play the dreadful "Taps".
She stays still, not sure what happens next, heaving gently against the trembling form holding her.
A box is presented to the grieving duo; recognizable faces blurred by red lines and trembling lips.
He lets go of his sister, opening his arms as grasps it and holds it close to his heart.

A man tries to tell of this man that they loved; of he and a husband and their love and their strength to overcome even the impossible.

He doesn't know enough to properly convey, the way that this two touched everyone's lifes.
The laughter and joy, the joking violence and the happiness they brought to all that they met.

The makeshift funeral is over and he falls to his knees in front of his sister; she didn't move, she can never leave him all alone in this state, she fell to her knees and brushed her hair out of her face before wrapping around her brother.

People talk, the Foundation rises, they want to take her back, they want to put him back to work.
She tries to rise but is too weak to stand, she says it in a shakey note, "we need a band of angels to help us through."

Three people, stoic and silent, appear at their sides. One tall and emotionless, dark eyes forming rings of exaustion as he pressed his face to a scarf she knew belonged to someone close to him, one shorter and shakey, eyes never leaving the amulet on his chest, she knows that he will cry if he looked at them, and one she recognizes as her brother's lover stood there. They were trying to be strong for them.

They wrap their arms around them and hold them near. Whispering words of encouragement against the silent breeze. They help them up and as they begin to walk, she thinks, and looks at her brother.

He only smiles and she knows that he was thinking too.

'Goodbye, dads, you're finally home.'