Blue Lights

A coldness, seeping down into warmth and whisking it away with a breath. Hands tinted the palest form of blue, light against the frail white of his eyes that burned brighter than the cobalt ocean at dawn.

Lips tight with words of different shades of blue, pants and calls and coos and sounds known well as a language they all shared under the covers with their lovers, sweet little nothings that mean more than the loud exclamations of love.

Unpressured and unburdened by the thoughts of imminent death, how the next day one of them might not make it through the work day, that didn’t matter in the cold of night where vision was impaired and all they could trust was the feel of skin against one another searching for warmth and comfort only the other could exert.

It was a daily thing, once the door closes the weights of his unpronounceable emotions cascading down his shoulders feels like the closet thing he could recognise as relief, and love.

That is something pronounceable that digs its claws into him every day. The sultry feel that reminded him of his childhood where humidity was a soft norm, he hated the winter then. He can’t live without it now. The subtle chill that melted into the seams of his muscles, digging deep into his vertebrae until it touched marrow and shivered was the closest thing he could use to explain love, the love he felt for the snow dusted shade of blue soft curls that fluttered against his fingers when he could hold the one he loved tightly.

It was a need he didn’t know he needed, a call and a press against the beating thrum against his chest that always accelerated in the presence of who he could only think of as a lord of the snow, he was wild for him underneath his emotionless exterior, absolutely ecstatic and it hurt that he could not accurately show just how much he loved him without sounding off.

He tries though, he tries, with little gifts and small smiles that bloomed the feeling of love in his chest when he could see those pale cheeks turn dark blue in their cold fever.

He was utterly enthralled, the talks and the whispers didn’t matter to him anymore, just hearing him from somewhere in the site makes him fall over his feet like a newborn foul. A nice analogy since this was the first time he’s ever f e l t something like this for someone else.

He could feel the soft little puffs of breath against his collarbone in the early dawn, goosebumps rising with his heartbeat. He reached over, the buttons of the slim clock falling under his fingers before the alarm could start, a pair of thin framed glasses nudged against the sharp white of the plastic clock. He could already feel the other waking in his arms.

“I love you Iceberg.” he called out, frail thin fingers enraptured in his own, dark blue growing across pale cheeks, the splay of snow blue curls against pillows, cobalt blue eyes sparking alight. He was too far down the rabbit hole now.

“Love you too Gears.” He cooed happily, and Gears let him go, watching the chill escape his fingers as Iceberg left their shared room to shower before their work started again.

Gears smiled, then stood up from the chilly warmth of the covers, he opened his drawer, pulling out a small blue box wrapped in a bow.

“I love you more than you know.”