Short Shots #2

O5-1’s metallic hands clasped the Gloxinia flower tightly in his grasp, lips pulled tight as he stared at the door. He took a breath, short and soft before he straightened up, releasing one hand that was on the flower to rasp it on the door.

His chest tightened at the sound of slow footsteps, a gentle tap following them in tune, a rhythm he grew to love and adore. The handle jiggled once, a sound of a lock releasing its duty an indication that this whole thing was real.

The door opened, a tired 05-3 standing in the middle of it with a beautifully crafted cane was clutched in his left hand, he gave a small welcoming smile that crinkled the edges of his eyes, the motion making 1’s heart swoon in his chest. 1 could see the soft lines of sleep encompassing 3’s form like a blanket, 1 could barely breathe.

“05-1, what a pleasure.” His voice was soft and woozy, the small tilt of 3’s head adding to the wild fluttering in his chest “For what reason do I owe the honor?”. 1’s words caught in his throat, speeches he practiced in the mirror leaving him just as quick as his stunned breath. Stuttering words followed him in an attempt before he thrusted the flower against 3’s chest, turning on his heel quickly in flustered turmoil as he left.

3’s gaze was soft, holding the slightly wilting flower in his open palm. His smile twinged up as he turned and shut his door, giving his cats a small acknowledging sound as he placed the small flower in a glass, seven other flowers encompassing the jar from the days before when 1 tried but failed to speak. “The Gloxinia flower, love at first sight.”.

1 opened his door in the early morning, gazing down at the freshly picked Gloxinia left in front of his door, 3’s soft laughter disappearing in the distance.