twenty-eight.

uranus - instrumental

skylar.

"i just turned the corner and she was standing there pinned up against the lockers by andrew..."

"i'm going to need you to keep those pretty eyes open for me sweetie. stay with us skylar..."

"14 year old female, skylar block, multiple injuries sustained from a bullying incident at school. definite broken ribs, blood in the belly, lacerations along the face and neck, and possible head trauma. bp is 130/80. currently unresponsive."

"did he say block?"

"as in one of oliver's kids?"

"someone alert chief block that his daughter is in trauma."

wake up skylar, wake up! let them know you can hear them. don't let them touch you! they're gonna hurt you if you don't stop them.

a breath of air hit my lungs, forcing me to exhale loudly and sending my body into a jolt of shock. an uncomfortable plastic mask rested over my face, blowing cool air into my nose. i tried to sit up, but was stopped by a sharp pain in my stomach and i screeched, alerting everyone in the room that i was awake. i looked down to see an iv in my wrist that i immediately pulled out.

"patient is awake and stable. hands off until chief block arrives and further course of treatment is decided." a blonde-haired doctor commanded, making all the chaos in the room come to a complete stop.

she approached my bed, holding a chart in her hand and gave me a warm smile. "hi skylar, my name is dr. taylor. i'm a colleague of your dad. we already let him know you're here, he should be here shortly. i'm going to take the oxygen mask off so i can ask you some questions, okay?"

i didn't have enough energy to muster a response, so i weakly nodded. i took the time to fully observe my surroundings, seeing multiple other nurses and doctors in the room watching too.

"do you know where you are?" she asked and i nodded.

"do you remember how you got these injuries?" i nodded again. "how?"

"i want tommy." i cried out, feeling tears prickle in my eyes out of fear. i felt unsafe, my fear of doctors coming into major action.

"who is that honey? your brother? a boyfriend?" she continued to interrogate.

a familiar looking nurse responded for me. she spoke slowly, "no.. she's taking about dr. kersey in psychiatry i think. right skylar, you're talking about dr. thomas kersey?"

i smiled and nodded gratefully, thankful that someone here understood me. i recognized her from the few times i hung out in his office, she was at the desk often times.

"i'll page him too." she responded.

"i see you ripped out the iv in your arm. can i put it back in?" dr. taylor reached down to touch my wrist, but i pulled it back sharply. in no way was i about to let a random lady stab me with a needle. "okay, let's wait on that."

"skylar!" my dad and thomas shouted in unison, both running into the room at the same time. my dad grabbed my chart, his eyes studying the monitors as thomas ran to my side. he placed his hand over my own, gently rubbing his thumb over my knuckles. his eyes began to get watery as he looked over my bloody and bruised body.