#1 - The Massacre

Chapter 1 - The Massacre
published: Wednesday, 2 January 2018

[ 3 days later ]

"Any news?" Annabeth asked again. It was her third day of her pestering Chiron. She'd be surprised if he didn't roundhouse kick her soon.

Chiron shook his head soberly. "Sorry, Annabeth. None of our scouts have transmitted back any information."

She sighed exasperatedly, running a hand through her tangled blonde hair. A few days more and she'd be balding. "No word at all? Even the smallest clue?"

"Unfortunately no, child. There hasn't been any sign of Percy. It's as if he's disappeared-"

"-off the face of the Earth," Annabeth finished glumly. She'd expected as much anyway. "I just-" she hesitated. "-I guess I was just hoping."

Her mentor gave her a sympathetic look, placing a hand on her shoulder for reassurance. "If there's any word at all," he promised. "I'll send for you immediately."

"Thank you," Annabeth said gratefully.

"Now run along," he shooed. "In times of distress, I find the training dummies particularly inviting."

They exchanged the usual farewells, and Annabeth tramped out of the Big House with her head hanging disappointedly.

It had been three days since the mysterious disappearance of demigod hero, Percy Jackson. A leader to many, friend to all, and the world to Annabeth.

Well, used to be.

Shuffling through the stack of papers in her hand, Annabeth skimmed over the words again. Not a sign of any certain demigod sons of Poseidon. Reyna and Frank had been working together with her to get the message of distress across all the ex-legionnaire demigods over the globe from Camp Jupiter.

Suddenly remembering the daily Iris-Message schedule she had fixed with the leaders of Camp Jupiter, Annabeth glanced at her watch, swearing lightly under her breath. She'd missed the time by fifteen minutes, after Reyna had specifically reminded her not to be a second late.

Digging through her pockets without any luck, Annabeth ran over the nearest passing demigod. It was Nico, the son of Hades, and as he had reluctantly relayed to her a few weeks before, who was going out with Will Solace.

"Any drachmas?" she demanded breathlessly. "I need to IM Reyna and Frank. I'm late and you know how Reyna gets when people aren't on time."

Nico pulled a face. "She gets all RARA," he said understandingly. "Pun intended," he added. He placed a drachma from his pocket in Annabeth's open palm. "I'll go with you."

Not too mindful of the company, Annabeth headed in the direction of the shore with Nico trailing alongside her. "No news of Percy yet?" he questioned.

She shook her head miserably. "I've asked Chiron. Clovis is searching dreams, and Rachel's trying to do whatever the heck awakens the creepy Oracle spirit in her. If I ask her again, she might murder me with her blue hairbrush."

"I've seen that thing injure a Titan," Nico assured her with an expression of dead seriousness. "I am sufficiently afraid."

Annabeth laughed at that. She peered into the distance. They were already past the pavilion, almost to the sea. Hopefully no one else was using the community spray guns.

"Hey, do you know when's the next time Hazel's visi-" Nico doubled over with an agonizing groan mid-sentence, sending Annabeth into emergency mode.