#15 - A Surprise Attack

Chapter 15 - A Surprise Attack
published: Wednesday, 6 March 2019

Hazel stabbed and parried the warrior's return strike. She kicked him on the leg and slammed the hilt of her sword into his head. The warrior hurtled down the cliff and smashed into the ground.

"Good luck," she whispered down the opening as she inches towards the exit. Annabeth and Percy had disappeared down the entrance to Tartarus mere moments ago, but Hazel was already terrified for them.

As Hazel descended down the cliff, she saw Jason yell out, and lightning bolts instantly frying two of the warriors. Jason and Leo then took down the last warrior, with Leo finally burning him to a crisp.

She jumped down next to them. "They're gone."

Leo looked up at the cave. "I didn't even say goodbye." Hazel gave him a comforting side-hug. Leo had grown very close to Annabeth over the course of Percy's disappearance.

"They'll be back soon," Jason said, though he sounded like he was trying to convince himself.

"We're two members down," Hazel said quietly. "Right after we got two back."

Jason sighed. "Come on, we should get back to the ship."

He slung arm across each of his friends' shoulders as they trudged along the beach.

It was easier to find their way back this time, but the sun was already setting, casting a peaceful golden glow across the island.

Jason found it ironic, considering their current situation.

After a half-hour walk, the three demigods arrived back at the ship. The bay was silent, not a fisherman in sight. Jason assumed they'd all returned home for the night.

"Piper?" Jason called out as he stepped onto the deck.

When no one answered, Jason's mind started to whirl in panic.

"Guys," he whispered. "Something's wrong."

Leo was fiddling with some switches on the dashboard. "Festus' thermal detectors," he explained as the huge dragon let out a small puff of smoke. "There are heat signatures below. And they're not Frank and Piper."

"What?" Hazel demanded.

Jason drew his sword and started down the steps to the upper deck where the cabins were, Hazel right as his heels. Leo followed after them with a fearful expression.

Sounds became clearer as they descended. Loud punches could be heard, followed by low, indiscernable voices.

Jason's ears perked up once he identified the noise coming from one of the bedrooms.

Frank, he mouthed to Hazel and Leo.

"Tell us where your friends are," someone growled.

Hazel stifled a gasp.

Jason pursed his lips. Warriors. They must have ambushed the ship once the others left.

"I won't–tell you–anything," Frank panted between punches.

Jason could see Hazel gripping her sword tightly, a furious glint in her eyes.

"I'll check for Piper downstairs." Jason's voice was barely above a whisper.

Leo shot him a thumbs-up and beckoned for him to keep going.

Jason threw a glance behind him as he continued down to the lower deck. He saw Hazel and Leo duck into the room where Frank was held captive, slamming the door shut behind them.