#34 - Go Out With A Bang

Chapter 34 - Go Out With A Bang
published: Wednesday, 11 September 2019

It was difficult to run in water, Annabeth quickly realised. Percy, of course, propelled himself into the entrance hall and was the first person inside the castle. She could see him waiting impatiently as she tried her best to swim towards him.

"Oh, come on," he muttered impatiently as he reached out his arms. Almost immediately, the six demigods were pulled by water currents towards him until they were inside the entrance hall too.

The next step was to split up and start searching. Hazel and Piper were waiting for Annabeth by the staircase, while the boys started to figure out the quickest route into the volcano. The gentle slope of its base was right of the castle's ruins.

Right before he left to join the others, Percy lagged behind, turning back to look at Annabeth.

"Your mum showed me something," he said quietly, making sure no one else could hear them. "She said your powers aren't the first among her children. But they all died. They're minds got too strong for them and it killed them." Percy seemed to have a hard time getting the words, unable to look her in the eye. "Look," he paused. "Just don't die."

Annabeth swallowed. "I'll try." She couldn't guarantee that she wouldn't use her powers.

"You said your fatal flaw was that hummus thing—"

"Hubris," Annabeth corrected with an eye-roll.

Percy pulled a face. "Yeah, anyway, I know you'll try use them because you think you can handle it."

"What if I can?" she demanded. "Maybe I'm the first."

"But what if you're not?" Percy exploded. He took a deep breath. "What if this kills you? I won't ever forgive myself knowing that I could've done something."

Annabeth slid her dagger into her belt loop as she stepped away from him. "I can handle it," she repeated firmly, daring him to argue.

Percy's expression softened, not in defeat but knowing that she was stubborn as a rock. "Be careful," he managed, propelling himself to Jason's side.

Annabeth allowed herself two more seconds to gaze at his retreating silhouette before she exhaled deeply and returned to her friends.

"Intense," Piper remarked, her eyes following the boys as they left the castle.

"What is going on with you two?" Hazel asked curiously.

He cheated on me, Annabeth wanted to say. But that wasn't fair, no. Hazel and Piper were his friends too, she'd only cast him in a bad light.

"We had issues," she said vaguely. "Being a couple didn't work for us."

Piper looked like she wanted to argue. Annabeth knew that she thought she and Percy were meant to be — which said a lot, because Piper didn't usually believe in that crap. "Mhm, she just said.

"Well, it's annoying me," Hazel said exasperatedly. "There's all this unresolved sexual tension between you—"

Annabeth choked on her air (water?). "Hazel!"

Hazel threw her hands in the air with a snort. "Oh, come on! I'm not a kid anymore, we can stop pretending I'm oblivious and innocent."

Piper gave her a pointed look.

"Okay, so maybe I am a little," Hazel admitted. "But I'm not blind!" she added. "Anyone with eyes — hell, anyone with a brain — can see that you two are just—" Hazel proceeded to perform a series of complicated hand gestures.