#24 - The Raptor's Nest

Chapter 24 - The Raptor's Nest
published: Wednesday, 8 May 2019

"This is the place," Frank declared.

Hazel gave a nod of confirmation.

Leo gave them each a glance of uncertainty. The island they had arrived at was tiny, covered in greenery, and appeared uninhabited. "Are you sure?"

"Yes," Hazel said with absolute conviction. "I can sense the ring already."

"Okay, then." Leo, still unconvinced, sank the anchor and lowered the gangplank. He looked around. "There doesn't seem to be anyone here at all. I doubt we need to look after the ship. Festus can stay here as a guard just in case."

He reached out a hand to Piper, who took it, and he helped her off the ship.

"What island is this?" Jason asked in confusion.

"Syrna," Frank said, pointing to the large 'Welcome to Syrna' sign by the harbour.

Piper frowned. "Doesn't bring any myths to mind. It doesn't seem to have any importance in history." 

"Well," Hazel turned to them. "It does now. The ring is here. I'm sure of it."

Leo grabbed Jason's arm frantically as he spotted a man lumbering up to them. "Oh gods, is it a warrior? A monster? An invictus in disguise?"

"I think..." Jason trailed off. "It's a mortal."

The man came up and started speaking in rapid-fire Greek.

Piper smiled and replied something else in Greek. Jason glanced between them in confusion.

When the man left, Piper turned to her friends. "He wanted to welcome us. They don't get visitors that often. He owns a farm near the harbour, and invited us for dinner at his house later."

Frank shrugged. "Well, I don't see why not."

Hazel gazed at the farmer's silhouette wistfully. "I haven't had a home cooked meal in forever." Her stomach grumbled, as if on cue.

"Let's focus," Piper reminded them. Let's find this ring, and if we do, we can reward ourselves by getting some dinner with him. Deal?"

After a chorus of "yes" and cheers, they started their walk towards the ring.

It wasn't long before they found themselves facing a thick forest, with little civilisation in sight.

Leo stared at the spanning trees. "Yeah, this doesn't look right."

He glanced at Hazel, who wore the same puzzled look as the rest of his friends.

"I-I don't understand," she stammered. "I can still feel it. But...why would Pontus hide a ring in the forest?"

Frank winced, attracting Leo's attention. "I can still see it. There's some sort of...sticks. And eggs."

Piper's gaze shot up. "Eggs? It's a nest. There's got to be some nest of sorts in here."

"I don't see any animals," Jason said uncertainly. "How can there be a nest?"

Hazel was the first to step into the greenery. "Only one way to find out." She pushed aside the trunks of trees and climbed inside, disappearing behind a bush.

Frank was next to follow, holding the ring tightly. "Let's go," he beckoned them. "We've been through so much. How can we be afraid?"

Leo stared at their retreating figures. "I am. I'm very afraid. This is a forest, with no Wi-Fi and no sign of living creatures. How can you not be afraid?"