#41 - The Tension Between Us

Chapter 41 - The Tension Between Us
published: Wednesday, 6 November 2019

Percy found himself standing in front of Annabeth's door, unsure whether to knock or leave. Did she want to see him right now? She probably wanted some time to think.

As he turned his back on the door, Percy traipsed slowly towards his own room. What was going on between them?

There were moments where it seemed like the last five years hadn't happened, and they were just innocent teenagers in love at a time where they thought that love was all they needed.

When Percy pushed his door open, he nearly jumped out of his skin when he saw Annabeth sitting cross-legged on his bed and staring blankly at the wall.

Her gaze swept towards him and Percy felt sadness well in his heart. Blonde curls flowed down her back and Annabeth's grey eyes were clouded with an emotion he couldn't identify.

"Sorry," she said softly, her voice barely above a whisper.

Percy swallowed as he closed the door behind him.

"I don't know why I'm here," Annabeth confessed. 

Percy stood by the door uncertainly. "That's okay," he said reassuringly. "I-uh-Do you want to talk?"

Annabeth folded her arms, her shoulders slumping. "I'm afraid my powers will corrupt me," she admitted. "If I can't control them, they could hurt other people too. Not just me. You saw what happened to Jasper."

Percy pulled up his desk chair to opposite the bed and sat down in it so they were facing each other. "I did. I saw you save his life when I thought that he was dead."

"He was only thrown overboard because of me," Annabeth said miserably. She buried her face in her hands. "It's just too much. Everything. The war, you, this."

Percy blinked. Me? he wanted to cry out. I didn't want to leave you.

Instead, Percy suppressed those thoughts and exhaled slowly. "I know it's a lot," he started. "But you're stronger than your powers. I know you are. And I've been trying to discourage you from using them, but the truth is, that you shouldn't be afraid of them," he reasoned. "Annabeth, you're a billion times stronger than your brain."

Percy paused for a moment. "You've got your heart," he added. "And your kindness. And everything you've been through since you were just 7." Percy shuffled his feet. "And, well, all of that is worth ten times your brain."

"So maybe your brain isn't strong enough to cope with your powers," Percy said. "But the rest of you is." He stared at his feet awkwardly.

"That was a real heart-to-heart," came Annabeth's trembling voice. When he looked up, she shrugged. "Thank you," she said sincerely.

The corner of his mouth perked up in a small smile. "Anytime."

Annabeth brushed her hair out of her face. "How're you feeling about returning to camp?"

Oh, so they were back to him. Percy pulled a face. "Nervous, more than anything. I haven't seen some of my closest friends in ages — Grover, Clarisse, Thalia — and I might just have a day before they're all dead. Also—" Percy winced. "I'm afraid they'll blame me for abandoning them for five years."

Annabeth was silent for a few moments. "Well," she said slowly. "No matter what, I'll be there."

"Really?" Percy said lightly. "You'd stay with someone as annoying as me?"

The chiming of a shrill bell interrupted their conversation. Percy's stomach grumbled in reply. It was the dinner bell.

"We should head up," Percy offered. "Unless you prefer to eat here?"