Chapter One | CarXTrouble

I met them in April, in Germany, on the way to Italy. I was singing in my car to a German song, 99 luftballoons; it was very catchy; I must've listened to it twenty times in a row.

Obviously, I wasn't paying close enough attention to the road because a loud pop made me shriek, and I heard the van motor putter. I'd hit a pothole straight on, but looking at the damage, it looked like I ran into a pole. The exhaust pipe looked like it'd been jolted out of place, and there was a bit of smoke. I checked the van battery, and it seemed to be fine, but the van was acting like I'd just killed it.

I sighed and rolled my eyes.

I was so close to getting to Italy. I'd been in Germany an entire week. Usually, I never stayed long in one place, but it was so nice, and there were a lot of war sights to visit, and as twisted as it might sound, I loved ww2. Not what happened really, it just felt so surreal, inhuman; every time I reviewed the history of it, I learned something new, something more disturbing. I also had an heirloom checked out while there. A Nazi dagger my great grandfather took off an enemy soldier he'd killed. It wasn't any high-ranking one, just the generic one every soldier received.

I wonder who it'd killed if it had at all?

I was so lost thinking about German history again; I neglected to call a tow truck.

I fished through the seat in the van on the right side. It was covered in everything I'd needed or used the past few weeks from Portugal to Spain, through France and up to Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands, winding back down to Germany and now on the edge of Liechtenstein, Austria, and Switzerland.

I'd planned to head to Italy; first, there was a festival I was interested in going to this week, then I'd go back through the three aforementioned countries.

My driving patterns weren't ever really normal; I planned everything, not on the convenience of timing or maps, but events; for this reason, I might be in china and drive through five other countries to the next and go back to the other five countries weeks later even if it was tiring.

I found my phone in the front seat and realized it was dead.

I opened the back doors to the van and crawled over the built-in bed, and opened the cabinets to try and find one of my disposable phones I kept for safety. I found a charger instead and decided to wait a few minutes for it to charge.

I was on the outskirts of a small town. It looked more old-fashioned than what I was used to seeing in Germany.

As it turned out, there was a renaissance fair going on, so I ignored my poor van and locked it up. I took a disposable phone, my handbag, and a pocket knife.

I walked into town happily and mesmerized at the beautiful decorations and people cosplaying; in fact, one section of the field outside of the town was sectioned off only for cosplaying members. I didn't take Germans as the cosplaying type, but I guess there's some wherever you go.

Instead of being productive as I should've been, I walked up to a dress stand and tried on three different renaissance dresses until I found one that I thought fitted me perfectly. I ended up buying it and joined the fair. I might as well since I'm here. I would've put this on my schedule if I'd known about it. I had a few dresses back home in my old room that were of much better quality.

I began worrying about my impulsive several hundred dollar purchase of a dress I'd likely wear only a few times as I did with most of my clothes. I didn't wear dresses often, but if people still wore Victorian dresses, then I wouldn't ever wear anything else.

Despite my impulsive purchase before, I made another one for a cape. I had a cape collection; it was a quirk. My old school had a strict dress code, but they never mentioned capes, so I'd annoy the staff and wear them when I felt like it. I got branded as the strange kid, but everyone knew me because of it, so I was the only popular kid who wasn't a part of the popular clique. Goals. Maybe?