The Resistance

"Stop!" I said, pulling away from his embrace.

Uhm, what are you doing?

"We can't." I lied through a bit lip. I wanted it, I wanted him but I couldn't do this with a soon-to-be married man could I? That would be proving her right; I am a whore.

His whore.

"I lied when I said I don't have any interest in you. Things are just complicated right now."

I rolled my eyes, crossing one arm over the other careful not to spill my wine still at hand.

"What's complicated about it? She's giving you a reason to break up with her, she has a secret lover man!"

"Lina please." He pleaded and my inner-self groaned.

"She thinks I'm your whore Damien!" I drained the contents of my glass in one swift motion - needing something to fuel my system before a breakdown occured.

"You're not." He spoke softly, drawing me in with his energy. How can someone be so bad for you yet feel so good? "I'm working on it. Just give me some time."

I laughed, throwing him off with my change of mood. "Time for what? What do you think this actually is Damien?" Silence. He watched me unresponsive. "Exactly. Look, you're my professor and that's that. Nothing more and nothing less. That kiss before was nothing, I was intoxicated and it was wrong."

Yet it felt so right.

"So let's just leave it at that." I sighed, hoping to end the topic here and move no further.

"Is that what you really want?" His brow rose, sceptical.

No it's not but it's not as though I want to be labelled as the woman on the side!

"Yes. It's best for the both of us - and for your relationship with your fiancé." I forced a smile and he nodded.

"Fine with me." Turning his back to me he headed for the door, leaving without saying another word.

-

"Hey dad!" Pulling me into his arms I embraced him in a tight hug.

"I've missed you." He smiled warmly at me as we sat down in the café.

"Missed you too! How's Christina?" I hadn't seen his wife for a while now and I felt bad for not keeping in touch.

"She's great! Always asking about you, you should come by and visit soon."

"I will I promise, I've just been busy and stressed with lectures and job hunting." Not to mention the whole Damien fiasco.

"I understand. How's the new car?" Our coffee and sandwiches arrived and I took a sip before responding.

"Perfect! Thank you again. Mum wasn't too happy I'd asked you for it though." I rolled my eyes and he chuckled, chewing on his ham and cheese sandwich.

"She still hates me huh?"

"I don't think she hates you, she's just hurt. Plus, she's moved on now." I wasn't planning on telling my dad about my mother's newfound love but it's not like he wants her back or anything. Plus I won't be filling him in on their engagement, that's up to her to discuss.

"Really? Since when?" Taking a sip of his coffee, he digested both the sandwich and the news.

"I met him a few weeks ago. I think it's been going on some months now." Shrugging casually, I took hold of my chicken and bacon sandwich before taking a bite.