Chapter Four

Gavin's P.O.V

Elijah said he'll fix Conan, that it'll only take two days. Then why the fuck is it taking five days?! I got no call, no text, not even a voice mail indicating if Conan is alive or not! I'm a grown man, now reduced to a crying mess. Only if androids were free, I'd be able to show Conan more attention in public. Our last note ended on an argument, I don't want him waking up on that cold lab table thinking I don't love him.

This isn't fair either, I've been avoiding my daughter thinking everything is a-o-kay! But it's not, how do I tell her this?!

"Oh hey kiddo! That's a really good drawing! But you're dad died! Anyways have a good day at school!"

Of course not! That would destroy Denise!

She's the last person that I need broken, she doesn't deserve this. Should I give her back to the orphanage? I'm so lost that I'm everywhere at once, and then nowhere all together.

"Daddy?" The sweet innocent voice called out to me, not tainted by the worlds evil or hatred like I have been. I stopped my pacing and turned around to face her. Brown eyes still holding their sparkle, in her hands is that stuffed donkey, Conan got her. I forgot it's name, Eebore? Eesnore? Eeyore! That's it's name.

"What's the matter sweetie?" I keeled down to her level, her eyes not once leaving me as she said the following.

"Where's Dad? When's he coming back?" Those very words broke my heart. Why couldn't have I met some human guy and then adopted Denise? It would make our lives so much easier. I wouldn't have to worry about Conan not being discovered a deviant, or worry about him being shot in the heart.

"I don't know when he's coming back-." I was cut off.

"You said he was at Uncle Kamski's house. I want him home now!" She teared up and held her stuffed animal close, wiping one eye with one hand.

"Baby I know, I want him back too...But I don't know if he'll be the same." What was I saying? Elijah may erase some important memories from Conan just to spite me for God knows what.

I was taken out from my thought process with a sob. Denise was clutching onto my shirt and crying her heart out. A hiccup here and there, but mostly sobbing. It made me break down and cry. All the pent up anger, sadness, it all came crashing down like a tidal wave.

I held her close, like she was the last thing keeping me sane. Well, she is, the last bit I have left. I'd do anything for her, I can't give her up.

I cried with her, rubbing the small of her back and sniffling, trying to calm myself down.

"I-I-Is d-dad e-e-ver coming b-back?" She spoke inbetween hiccups, looking up at me with those brown eyes. They glistened with tears, it broke my heart even more. The shards and shatters now turning to dust.

"I don't know baby. But I'll try and bring him back. Just for you, alright?" I stroked her hair as she nodded. The words hitching in her throat.

"Can you sleep alone tonight?" She shook her head no. I let out a gentle with and picked her up.

"Come on. Bath time and then bed time." Thank God it was the weekend.