Chapter Five

Gavin's P.O.V

I woke up to the sound of thunder. Great, it's raining, and now there's the lighting. Just my luck. I only liked the rain because Conan and I would go and take walks out in it. But now it seems like we won't anymore. My phone buzzed on the night stand next to the bed.

It's five a.m, who in the phck could be calling?

Caller ID: Elijah The Smartass

Great, with a sigh I swiped the green button, this better be about Conan or else. With my arm under Denise, I didn't really have the ability to move into another room. Oh well, time to act like an old meme and YEET my arm back. To which I did, softly.

"Gavin? How are you, sorry to call so early in the morning." Elijah's voice sounded shallow and something else, I couldn't out my finger on it.

"This better be about Conan or I swear to God Kamski. I'm coming over with Denise. Have you hold her as I bash every damn Chloe you own." I rolled my eyes and yawned through half of it. But oh well, I'm making a point.

"That's the thing." There was a pause. "I turned Conan in." There must be terrible connection through the storm. Did I just hear that Elijah turned him in?! That can't be, he promised he'd fix Conan. He promised I'll have him back safe in my arms.

HE PROMISED!

"Gavin? Hello, Gavin?! You there?" The voice of someone I thought I could trust, yelling in my ear.

"Your kidding me Elijah! How could you?!" I left the bedroom, careful not to wake my baby girl who was still asleep. But that didn't stop me from slamming the door in anger.

"What do you mean?! I was doing my job, he was a wanted android! And last I checked! You hated my 'abominations' to which I call my life's work!" He was just as pissed off as I am. Wait no, I'm more upset then him at this moment.

"People change Elijah! He opened my eyes! It's not his fault some wanna be messiah took the darkest path for their freedom! Only to end up getting themselves and other androids killed!"

"Well then Gavin, did it not tell you, what, not to get attached? That's it's a machine?" He asked me, now here's where I finally boil over.

"He's! Not and it, he had feeling and other things. Hell Elijah he's even the father of your niece! How could you do this to her, what did Denise do to deserve this?!" I bet he didn't even think about her, only his job.

"A-are you serious right now Gavin?" I heard a chuckle, which turned into laughter in the other end.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! But, you adopted Denise with Conan? I don't believe that! I'm sorry but I don't!" He cleared his throat as I fumed. If Elijah were here right this very moment, he'd be sorry.

"Look, I'm just doing my job, nothing more, nothing less. If it makes you feel better, I also turned in my Chloe's. "

That doesn't help me at all.

"Gavin? Gavin! Gavin!? Hello-." The call was cut short with me throwing my phone at the wall. I heard it shatter and crack, as the components shut down for good.

"He's not coming back, is he Daddy?"

Shit, I woke her up.

"W-what? Wait, why are you up so early? G-go back to be, Daddy's not feeling well. " I tried to look strong and not break down in front of her.

But I couldn't, not anymore, not without him.

"He's not coming back is he Daddy? Uncle Kamski didn't fix his boo-boo did he?"

The fact that she knows this stings.

"He's coming back! He has to be coming back, okay?" I picked her up as she sniffles.

He has to come back.