Prologue (Rewritten)

"Just listen to me!" Olivia whined for what seemed like the thousandth time.

"I've been listening for a long, long time and am no longer interested. Sorry."

"But-"

"No but's!" I raised my index finger at her in a threatening manner- a little trick I had learned from her mother. 

"You can easily survive the hideous dance without me, and you know it," I tried to reason with her stubborn ass.

"No!" She stomped her right foot on the ground and crossed her hands over her chest. 

I clenched my fists in an attempt to control the anger that was building up inside of me. She was my favorite cousin, but it sometimes blew my mind how I could put up with her constant tantrums.

"I've a terrible headache and your constant pleas aren't helping in any way."

"You know, Roseanne would've said yes immediately."

"Then you're most welcome to go and pester her."

With that, I diverted my attention to my bowl of now melted chocolate ice cream. Disappointed, I unwillingly got off the comfortable couch and headed towards the kitchen.

Olivia, like a lost puppy, followed.

"What now?" I asked, annoyed at her persistence.

"Mindy's coming staying over this Sunday," she informed and sat on a stool by the counter.

"Have fun with the she-devil," I replied with a snicker.

"Oh no, she's staying with you." She smirked, knowing how much hatred I had for that little snitch.

"Absolutely not!" I slammed the bowl on the counter in protest.

"Definitely yes. Your mom was the one who suggested the idea in the first place."

I was in utter disbelief. My entire childhood I had to bear Mindy's ridiculous boasting and snitching. Now, that I was finally away from my very unsupportive family, my mother decided that it was perfectly fine to dump Mindy's pathetic ass on me. 

I was not about to step down and called my mother instantly.

"Yes, honey?" she answered with the sweetest voice, as if completely oblivious to what she had done.

"Why did you tell Mindy it was okay to stay with me?"

"Because she's your cousin."

"Cousin, my foot!"

"What was that? I didn't catch it"

I rolled my eyes as I listened to the background noise, undoubtedly being caused by the boisterous neighbors.

"Mindy is not stayinng with me," I said with a louder voice.

"Why not? You have Olivia over at your place all the time."

"Olivia's not a brat, unlike Mindy."

"Don't say that, she's family!"

I imagined her putting her free hand on her hip, just like the way she used to when she was annoyed at me or dad.

Man, did I miss home.

"That doesn't matter. I just moved into my apartment and I don't want her to cause trouble."

"Oh, please-"

I cut her off, "Also you cannot just invite people over to my place without informing me."

"Oh, I get it. You're all big now because you go to college."

"What are you even talking about?"

I rubbed my temple as the kids started shouting even more loudly.

"Mindy's staying with you, and that's final."

"Fine." I sighed. 

So much for standing my ground.

"How long is she staying for?"

"Just one night."

"Hmm, goodbye."

"Wait-"

Before she could start questioning me about my non-existent love life, I cut the call.

Turning back to Olivia, I asked with a defeated voice, "When's your prom?"

"This Sunday," she replied, a little too happily.

"Count me in," I said without thinking twice.