Chapter Three

Love this banner soooo much! Thank you touti2468 for making this for me!! (:

If you would like to send your banners in for a shoutout, my email is Midika36@gmail.com

Word Count: 1658

~Brielle

By the time we made it to the island, my stomach was so queasy, I started to doubt if I could stand or not.

I stayed hidden, hearing keen, as I patiently wait for the captain to leave the boat, and anyone else on the docks had dispersed. When everything sounded still, I made my move, forcing my stiff limbs into submission. I almost fall on my face, as I crawl across the boards, removing myself from when I had been hunched the entire journey.

The breeze off the lake hits me the moment I hobble to my feet. It chills me right through my clothes, but it snaps my mind back into reality. I need to get off this boat, and find a way onto the island.

And most importantly, not get caught.

The boat and the docks are empty, as far as I can see. Darkness stretches over everything, however, the moon lights up enough to compromise my position. It doesn't seem as though anyone is watching, so tentatively, I place my first foot onto the wooden dock.

I don't waste any time. I'm up and out of the boat as quickly as I can, tucking my jacket over my torso as I jog up toward the main building.

I avoid going near the main building, where the staff will surely be closing up for the night, letting the captain and other crew out to go home. So instead, I wander around the side, trying to find an exit. I can already imagine how bustling this place would be during the day. That is, if many people actually live on this island...

I've never met someone who has been on the island. The only people who leave seem to be crew getting supplies for the Alpha.

I'm holding onto hope Raven wasn't lying about a job here.

Creeping around the building, I spot low lamp lights that flank a path that leads up the side of a mountain. The mountain I have looked at and wondered about for many years. The light allows me to catch sight of what the building looks like. And I'm surprised to see it's an entire spectacle.

I hadn't realised, but there didn't seem to be a roof, just a drape coloured a deep purple and a glistening gold, that almost seems silver under the moonlight. It's stunning, and foreign compared to the bland port we had back on the mainland.

I don't pay too much attention to it, sure I'll see it when I'm escorted back to the mainland once I've been caught.

The moment I start the trek up the mountain, I instantly realise how I underestimated how long it would take to make it up. The path has turned into a swirling set of stairs, concrete slabs etched into the ground and covered in a layer of thick grass.

At least, as I take each step at a time, I can admire the view.

The moon reflects it's beam across the surface of the lake, alighting it in a mix of silver and blue. In contrast, the horizon is glowing in a brilliant golden mass, each village becoming its own by the lights of every citizen.

By the time I reach the top of the hill, I could swear the sun was about to rise. My legs ached, my head throbbed and I became in desperate need of a drink of water. But once my feet touched the front lawn of the estate, right at the top of the hill, I realised that this might not be so bad. Especially not if this is where I'll be working.

The formal lawn is lit by multiple lights, showing off the manicured green, which leads to a fountain close to the manor. The clear water glistens under the light, sparkling as it gently hits the surface of the water.