Chapter Forty Eight

~Brielle

I'm not sure what my first reaction should be.

Immediately I fall to my knees by her side. I grab her limbs, feeling her cold skin, feeling how limp they are. Completely lifeless. I shake her a few times, put my ear to her mouth to catch a breath and even feel a pulse. Nothing. There is no life left in her. Had I known this was her choice, I would have never left the table.

I may not know her, or even what her name was, but she's Chase's mother...why didn't he tell me? He came in here, acting as though he had no clue who she was. He must have known to. I feel as though the entire plan was done without me even knowing.

"Can't you mourn later? She's going to wake soon," I hear Fate from behind me. There's no need to turn around and shoot him a glare.

He knows this isn't a normal situation.

Walking up behind me, he steps out and around the body carefully. Not because he cares all that much for the corpse lying here in the middle of a tent that was her home, but because he doesn't want her anywhere near him.

He kneels down, looking down at the Gaze Reader. For a moment, I swear I see a flash of sadness in his eyes, as if Immortals actually feel anything for mortals. However, as he brushes her hair back off her face, there is a sense of tenderness. I'm unsure of why he feels sad for this. I mean, he wasn't the one who killed her.

It seems as though he can read my mind, not even looking up at me. "My mate would be sad to see this. She has come to love Gaze Readers recently."

This is about this mate...

"Is every motive of yours to do with your mate?" I ask. I'm not trying to condescend him, I'm just genuinely curious. Or maybe it's just my way of trying not to concentrate on what is quite literally sitting right in front of me. Death is confronting. Especially when it's the death of your mate's mother.

"I've lived my entire life without much purpose. She brought a lot to mine," he admits, sitting back, still not taking his eyes of the Gaze Reader. "I mean, you're sitting here right now because you love your mate, right?"

I sigh deeply. I hate that he is right. Especially about this.

"If I give you this money, what am I going to get out of it?" I question. Everything is slowing falling apart, and I've resorted to making a deal with an immortal to make it better.

"Well, I'll do the dirty work, and kill Ren when he wakes up in this body. I somehow doubt you want to be the one to kill your own mates mother," Fate says solemnly, clearly suggesting he doesn't want the job either.

I cast a glance down at the body lying in front of me, cold and now dead. As hard as death is to overcome, I know there is a good chance she is now in Death's realm to decide whether she wants to be an immortal or not. Chase will see her again, and so will I, but none of us wanted this. At least that's what I thought.

When I look back at Chase, who also lays amongst the blanks, unconscious, I wonder how long he planned this. It can't have been long, considering how Ren has been watching.

Ren wouldn't have let this happen. Right?

"You can't have all the money go to this Pack. The Passion Pack needs it more than anyone," I tell him firmly. I can't trust he will actually do this, however, I'm losing hope, and the blue haired man sitting opposite me is the only chance I have left to figure this out.

Fate shrugs. "I suppose Isaiah could do with the money, and I might be willing to give him some. In other words, if my mate catches wind, she will ensure I do."

I grit my teeth. If anything is going to make Fate do something, it's his mate. But right now, that isn't my real concern. I'm more worried about the fact that Ren will be waking soon, and I don't want to be around to see what he has to say. I spent so long thinking Ren truly felt something for me, and in that time, I felt something for him. I don't want to witness his death.

Fate seems to notice my urgency. "You should go. I'll take your mate outside, and then deal with Ren. I promise it will be swift, and he won't suffer."

All of a sudden, the entire idea of this all repulses me.

"Are you sure there isn't another way? Why don't you imprison him, make him suffer?" I question, suddenly becoming frantic. Fate remains calm, helping my stand. How is he so okay with this? I know he's an immortal who is millions of years old, who has dealt with bigger issues than this, but it all seems so calculated and cruel.

"Trust me, no one will miss him. This is for the best. Let Death and Karma be the judgement for him in the next life. I promise you they will be harsh," Fate says, as if it's meant to assure me. In actuality, it makes my stomach turn.

"Anything would be better than murdering him in cold blood," I say softly.

Fate sighs, grabbing my arm to yank me out of the tent. Thankfully no one is around to see me getting man handled by an Immortal.

"He killed his family. He will be better off dead, in a place where he can't hurt anymore. I know an abandoned house you can wait in until Chase wakes. Unless of course, you want Ren to come back to life and come for you both?" Fate says. He leans in so close, I can feel his breath against me, hear the firmness of his tone.

I don't like my options. But I know which one I like the best.

Fate keeps his word and brings Chase to an abandoned building he knows of, dumping him onto a couch before taking off to deal with Ren. I try not to think about what he is going to do to him.

Patiently, I wait, stroking his dark hair, waiting for him to come back from the potion that out him to sleep. Not once do I leave his side.

Until finally, his eyes open.

I'm first struck by seeing him with two blue eyes. The green one is gone. Ren is gone. Now, Chase is the only one who remains. Immediately I wrap myself around him, not allowing him to get a chance to question anything. Now that he is in my arms, I feel as though I made the right decision. I love him above anything else.

"What's going on? Is everything okay?" he questions, as I stand back for only a moment, but I still hold onto him. He looks around, visibly confused about where he is.

"It's a long story, trust me, but I promise you that everything is okay now," I tell him, holding his face to kiss him softly.

I'll get answers out of him later, and he will get some out of me too, but right now, I'm just thankful he is alive.

And Ren isn't.

~Fate

I hear his footsteps approach.

Glancing up, I watch his figure approach from down the hallway, his shadow casts down all the way to my feet. I don't flinch, nor cower away. This may not be a meeting I ever thought I would have, but I'm not unhappy about it. It will benefit me in more than one way. I love this brilliant opportunity.

"Here? Of all places?" he says smoothly, coming to stand beside me. I look him up and down.

"You're dressed rather nicely for a dungeon," I say. He looks at me, those lavender eyes still unnerving, after all these years. We never got along until recently. Suddenly, we have a common goal, and now, a common prize.

"You never know," he comments, "Now, where is he?"

I grin, tapping against the bars of the cell. A light flickers on, focusing on the figure huddled in the middle of the cell. Looking at Sinful, I see a slow smile creep across his face.

"I had to give him another body of course, but there he is, our secret weapon," I murmur, watching the way he stares back at me, green eyes fierce beyond anything else. I had to let him keep the eyes. It would be an injustice not to do so. Poor Ren. Who knows how long he will remain down here.

"You've really outdone yourself this time Fate," Sinful says, nudging me. "You really have."