Chapter Twenty Nine

Word Count: 1554

~Brielle

The Gaze Reader women didn't let me stick around.

Quickly, she ushered me out of her tent, pulling the flap back behind me. When I turn around, the market had moved on, people having pulled down their stalls to return back to their homes. How much time has passed? The sky above me has gotten darker too, ominous clouds rolling over, casting shadows over the littered grounds. It might rain any moment now.

Just as I was about to find shelter elsewhere, I notice someone looking at me, standing on the porch of a nearby house. It's a girl, not looking too old, but definitely a few years older than me.

When she notices me looking back at her, she turns around, but doesn't walk inside her house. Then, she looks over her shoulder at me again.

I decide I need to see why she is so interested in staring at me.

As I approach, the girl doesn't move, but she looks away, trying to pretend she wasn't scrutinizing me. Maybe it's because I'm not from here, and it's obvious. Regardless, I'm curious why she is looking at me so curiously, as if she has something to say to me, but is too shy to say it.

Standing at the foot of her porch steps I look up at her as she finally turns around. "Hey there."

It's a simple greeting. She smiles tightly, nodding at me. For a moment I thought that might be it, and that I can leave and hopefully find something to eat before I leave. However, the girl suddenly sighs, jumping down the steps to stand in front of me.

"I'm sorry, I listened in on your conversation with the Gaze Reader. By any chance might it have something to do with the demon?" she questions. Seeing my confused expression, she sticks her hand out. "I'm June."

I blink a few times.

Shaking her hand, I eye her cautiously. "Sorry, did you say something about a demon?"

The girl looks around, checking to see if anyone is listening in. She's clearly from this Pack, which thick curly hair and warm hazel eyes. She motions for me to follow her inside, which I do so cautiously. I linger at the doorway, ready to leave if I need to. She seems kind enough.

"Maybe I'm way off here, but is a demon plaguing your life? One you cannot escape from?" she questions, pacing across her small lounge room, looking along walls lined with bookshelves for something.

"I don't know about a demon," I tell her, rubbing the back of my neck. Chase is surely a problem, but a demon? I thought he was just a poor boy whose mind was connected with Ren's with magic.

June pulls a book from her shelf. It's thick, as she lays it down on her coffee table, motioning for me look.

I have no idea where this is going.

"There are creatures called Phantom Wolves which have plagued this Pack for a long time. But the worst was once a demon, who took on many forms, before he disappeared one day. Some rumour he became apart of an Alpha who visited here once, and he hasn't been back since," June explains, flipping through the pages of her book.

"What does this have to do with me?" I ask her, despite the fact a lump has formed in my throat. What Chase is this demon? If he is a demon, then what is his goal while being within Ren's mind. Cna he even get out?

June glances up at me. "Well, I don't mean to assume things, but you're clearly from the Loyalty Pack. Maybe the demon that has taken over your Alpha's body is terrorising his people."

My mouth goes dry.

"If there was a demon within Ren...Alpha Ren, how would someone get rid of it?" I ask her, hoping her strange book has some kind of answer.