Chapter Twenty

Word Count: 1559

~Brielle

I'm out of bed in less than a second.

Charlie buckled to her knees crying out, the sound rousing a few of the girls sleeping around me. Lila included. I stumble over to her, stepping over sleeping heads and mussed beds. When I grab for her, my hands draw back covered in blood. Thick, dark blood still seeping from claw like cuts along her arms. It makes my stomach turn for a moment.

"Are you okay?" I question, pulling her hair from her face gently. Her hair is coated with blood, and through it, I can see what looks like spots where hair has been ripped from her scalp. I swallow uncomfortably. What happened to her?

She doesn't say anything, blood dripping past her lips. Others begin to surround her, pushing me away.

I watch. Unable to move.

Many ask her what happened, while those who are skilled in first aid tend to her wounds, carrying her to lay down on a bed. She doesn't answer any of them, staring blankly ahead, shocked. The marks are vicious, like an animal has teared into her skin. Does that mean something is let loose in this place, wondering around waiting to strike another innocent girl?

Or was it Ren...Or maybe this strange Chase figure who lives here that I've yet to see. Whatever it might be, Charlie went missing that night, and here she is, reaping the repercussions of that.

I'll have to find out what did this. Maybe the diary is the key to the answer.

***

The next day, nothing progressed.

Charlie's condition improved after she was given proper medical attention by Ren's personal staff. But no word was spoken, no matter how many people pried. She just shuddered and shook her head frantically until people started to leave her alone. No one has asked since then.

I reported for work as per usual. Ren called me to talk about what would happen for the week and what has happened while he has been away. We met in his office.

When I knocked and walked in, Ren sat behind his desk, looking down at his work.

My first impression is that he looks suddenly regal. When he glances up at me, his complexion is healthy and bright, and for a moment I notice he looks as if he's glowing. A warm feeling blossoms in my stomach at the sight of it. I've never seen him look so vibrant, despite wearing dark clothing draped over his shoulders. I blink a few times, my speech choked up in my throat.

"Oh, good morning," he says brightly.

Maybe he's gotten a lot of sleep lately. There's no sign of dark shadows under his eyes. He smiles at me. It's warm, welcoming as I come to sit down in front of the desk. I'm not sure why the sight of him has sent a shiver down my spine. It's not as if I haven't seen him in awhile. It's only been a few days.

"How have you been?" he asks, as I sink into the chair, watching him suspiciously. Where has he been that his condition has changed so rapidly? It was as if seeing all the Alpha's drained his energy and he has replaced it again.

"Okay," I say flatley, deciding not to jump right onto the subject of Charlie. "Things have been quite hectic while you have been gone."

"I apologise about disappearing so suddenly. There was important business on the mainland I had to attend to. I should have told you earlier, but it was essential I dealt with it as soon as I could," he tells me smoothly.

Knowing I won't get an answer, I don't pry.

"Have you figured out what happened to Charlie?" I ask, leaning back in the seat, folding my arms over my chest.