【 02 】

Jeongguk ran, ran and ran

It was dark, it was cold, and definitely scary. The branches of the trees around him were rustling as the howling of the wind continued by, dried up leaves crusting harshly underneath his shaky feet.

From time to time, he seemed to look back to where he came from, from the path that might have just brought him to safety. But Jeongguk has already decided, he wouldn't go back now. He wanted to help the stranger in the woods, and risk his own life for that.

Jeongguk knew that, if he chose to just walk away, he surely wouldn't fall asleep that night, and the nights afterwards. Questions about the woman would keep running around in circles in his mind. Is she okay? Did she survive? Did she die? Because I couldn't help? Would she have survived then? Is it my fault?

He could have never answered this guilty-filled questions, if he didn't go inside there. Thus, After he slowed down into a normal tempo, with each step, he seemed to try to fight against his fear, and become- feel brave. It was hard, but he was managing.

Like that, Jeongguk walked inside the gloomy forest, but soon realized he won't be able to go in any further without any source of light. Thus, he picked out a tiny flashlight he brought with him out of his pocket, and turned it on. Now, a round flash of a light was appearing in every direction he chose.

Silence.

Anxiety.

Insecureness.

Rustling of leaves, and bushes. Dry, rough cracking sounds every time Jeongguk stepped on a small branch, the sound echoing through the deep, unknown woods, with nobody knowing what exactly was lurking inside it.

Jeongguk was quietly panting as he felt as if he was becoming crazy— no wait, he probably already was. He didn't know what was going on, nor what could happen any moment.

What was unsettling him even more was the fact that, since he has entered the forest, he didn't hear the woman scream. Not even once. It made his stomach twist in fear. Was she okay? He thought, trying to walk where he thought the pained screams from before came from.

Yet nothing.

He kept walking and walking through trees, and there was nothing more besides of three things. Darkness, coldness, and anxiety blooming in Jeongguk's chest.

After some more minutes, Jeongguk froze.

He hoped his ears just wanted to trick him in believing that he just heard leaves crusting from afar too, signalizing obvious steps of a human. Or perhaps of an animal. He hoped it came from an animal.