Chapter 24

After spending the afternoon with Chance and his family Tim realized spending a day or two along the gulf shore was exactly what he needed. As he put away his clothes he stepped to the closet to hang up his leather jacket, placing it on the hanger the envelope fell to the floor.

Tim quickly picked it up, grabbed his glasses and sat down on the edge of the bed. He stared at the handwriting, it was hers. His heart began to race as he started to open the envelope. With trembling hands, he unfolded the letter...

"My Dearest Timothy :

     As I sit here in the dark watching you sleep the moonlight dances across your face and bare chest, your beautiful hair cascades down your shoulders. How did I get so lucky to have a man like you love me so deeply, so fully....

****
Chance stood at the railing, watching the moonlight dance upon the calm ocean waters. Smiling he thought about how much he loved being home, the solace he found here.

Suddenly he noticed a figure running towards the beach. Quickly turning on the spotlight that lit up the backyard he saw him, Tim was running.

Chance yelled for him to wait as he hurried the best he could down the stairs to the back patio. "Tim....Tim" he yelled.

His heart beating hard in his chest, barely able to breathe, he stumbled and fell into the sand dunes. Chance finally caught up to him, leaning forward on his knees, gasping for air himself he asked " what the...hell are....you...doing" trying to settle his breathing " what's...wrong "

Tim rolled over onto his back, his chest heaving as he fought to catch his breath..." you wouldn't understand" he cried.

Chance slowly sat down beside his friend, "you're wrong...I understand more than you realize" he replied.

Tim threw his hands over his face. "Why Chance...why did she have to leave me".

"She had no choice, she didn't plan it...." he told him.

Chance waited for a bit before prying any further. He knew Tim had been fighting with intense memories of Caroline and confusing feelings for Jenika. He also knew Caroline was working on both of them to admit those mutual feelings.

"You want to talk about it...about why you were running" he asked Tim.

Tim had calmed, taking the bottom of his tee shirt to wipe his eyes. "You ever feel the need to run away, to stop the hurt, never come back" Tim replied quietly.

Chance knew those feelings all to well. The day he had gone to the rocky shore his intention was to simply leap to the crashing waves below to stop his pain. Then when on "the other side" he had no more pain, and no desire to return. Until she showed him.

"In more ways than one" he answered. "But pain is inevitable, it lies within us, it's part of being human. You can't do anything about it" he told him.

Tim looked at him "so you're saying I will suffer like this forever".

"Suffering is optional. You have to forget about the pain now" Chance replied.

"I can't, I won't forget about her" Tim retorted.

"I'm not saying forget her, you never will. But forget the pain, her pain and suffering. Remember the best parts of your life together,  not the horrible darkness" Chance stated.

Tim sat silently listening to his friend. He was confused, uncertain, constantly feeling guilty of the stirring of emotions.

"Tim, you need to focus on the present, the future" he added.

"How" he asked quietly.

"By letting someone in to help you, to show you what it's like to love again. No one will ever take her place. But I know there is another who loves you, who will help you through your pain" Chance told him.

"You mean Jenika. She tell you that" Tim said.

"No, Jenika didn't" Chance replied as he looked behind Tim "but she did".

Tim looked at him with a raised brow "she?" then turned as he heard her voice.

"Hello, Timothy"