Chapter 25

Tim stared at the sight before him. "I must be totally insane. This isn't real, a pleasant nightmare, if that's possible" he said without taking his eyes off her.

Caroline walked closer, extending her hand for him to take. "It's not a nightmare and you're not insane. Please, come with me. I haven't much time" she expressed with a smile.

Tim turned toward Chance, "It's true, she is really here, if only for a short time" he told Tim.

Tim took her hand, amazed he could actually feel her hand in his. She was dressed in a white dress, her hair had grown back to what it was before she became sick, wearing it to the side in a braid just as she always had.

Caroline led him along the beach, walking in silence, the warm breeze flowing just as they had done years before in the Caymans. "I've missed you so much" Tim finally told her.

Caroline stopped, turning she took his other hand, looking up into his deep brown eyes, she smiled "I know, but I've been with you all along, right here" she told him rubbing her hand over his heart.

Tim closed his eyes, he felt her hand on his chest. Tears welled in his eyes, pulling her closer he hugged her tightly, taking in the scent of her hair. He felt complete again.

Caroline stepped back, she gently wiped the tear that streamed down his cheek. "Baby, please, no tears" she asked.

"They aren't sad tears, only happy, happy tears that I have you in my arms once again" he whispered.

"But I can't stay. I have a purpose to fulfill, but I can't until..." she trailed off,  stepping away.

"Until what?....until I let you go" he asked. "I can't Caroline, I just can't" he added.

Caroline looked at him "baby, it's been 5 yrs, it's time. There's a time for holding on but that time has passed. Your letting go will make it easier for me to finally move on.  Can you do that for me?"

"I don't know if I can, Caroline. I'm  afraid that if I do...one day..I ..I "he couldn't finish his answer.

"You're afraid you will forget me" she told him.

Tim looked at her, shaking his head yes as he cried.

"Tim, you will never forget me , I promise you that. You need to understand until you let go I will always be 'in between',  I can't fully cross over" she explained.

Tim looked at her, more confused "what do you mean 'in between' he asked.

Caroline wouldn't explain, she merely touched his lips as she spoke "will you surrender, will you let me go and promise to live again, please" she whispered.

Tim felt a sense of guilt for a moment as an image of Jenika flashed before him, the feelings he had for her stirred within him.

"It's ok, Tim. I know" she smiled.

Shocked, he shook his head, looking down " I'm so sorry" he said solemnly.

"Don't be..Jenika will be everything I was and more for you" she replied.

"How do you.." he said as she touched his lips again.

"Who do you think brought you two together" she smiled.

"We are no longer who we used to be, Tim. You have a second chance to love again, not many people get that" she told him.

"But at what cost, the loss of the only woman I could ever truly love" he replied as he stepped away.

"It's not about the loss, baby. It's more about connecting to yourself,  being around people that get you and love you with all your wounds" she explained.

"A part of me died when you passed, you know. I swore I would never, ever let another in my life, in my heart. No one could ever take your place " he replied.

"And, no one will, ever. I will always be near you, hear you when you call my name, but only if you keep your promise, you promised to live " she told him.

Tim turned back towards her, reaching out he took her hands. "You brought Jenika and I together?" he asked.

"Yes..Chance's party, the plane, the lunch, her finding him on the street when he wondered off " she replied. "I wouldn't send you just anyone, I have standards" she chuckled.

Tim smiled, pulling her close "are you sure" he whispered, leaning his head on top of hers.

"Positive....so, will you surrender and let me go " she asked, leaning into his chest.

"Can I think about it" Tim asked quietly.

"Sure...but please...not too much longer" she replied as she stepped away, beginning to fade back to her unearthly self.

"Noooo.....please, Caroline...don't go...not yet" he pleaded.

"I'm sorry, Tim. It's beyond my control, I only had permission for a brief time" she explained as she walked backwards into the emerging dense fog.