Chapter 1: Saddened Patton

Background:

At the time that this story was written / uploaded, I was watching the Sanders Sides videos, but hadn't really gotten involved in the famdom. It was actually when I started going on Tumblr to find inspiration for another story I was working on at the time that I found out how docile and kind Fanders were. This partially is why I started writing Sanders Sides based stories to begin with.

This also took place around the same time that the Accepting Anxiety videos were released, and as many people who have read my stories have probably guessed, I am a particular fan of Virgil, the reason of which I will get into in the description of another story. Anyway, those two episodes centered around the redemption of my favorite character was what actually pushed me to begin my writing as a Fander.

Inspiration:

The inspiration for this story is a bit funny actually. As of the Accepting Anxiety videos, we got a closer look into the fact that Virgil respected Patton, and at the time, to a higher degree than the other two (obviously this has changed as the characters develop.) Back to the point, I had seen plenty of stories and art where Patton stood in Virgil's defense, some of it was even canon, but (and I will explain this throughout my chapter explanations) I enjoy taking a concept and turning it 180 degrees. That meant rather than have Patton defend Virgil, it would be the other way around, the others weren't listening to Patton and Virgil would have to stand up for him. (Some of this has actually happened in the canon series as of late, and I am loving it!)

Back on track, what really gave me the final push to write this particular chapter was from a clip I had seen in which Dan and Phil were sitting at a panel. During this time, Phil was being continuously talked over, so Dan being Dan reached over and took the microphone for the other team and said, "Can Phil express an opinion?" I personally thought that was adorable, and it lead me to wonder, how would this situation play out is it involved the sides, so that is basically how the idea came to fruition.

Overall Thoughts On Saddened Patton:

I look back on this story with some distain (though, it is far from my least favorite,) but that is mostly because, when I went back and read it again so I could write this, I realized how much my skills in writing have developed. Now, this by no means makes me a Perfect Author, I am actually under the impression that whether you are just starting out, or you're at J.K. Rowling or J.R.R Tolkien levels of experience, there is always room to improve. (I will elaborate on this in a bit.) Anyway, having noticed how much my skill has improved since Saddened Patton was written; I look back on this story with distain, for two reasons, and neither are because I necessarily dislike the story.

Reason One: I dislike this story, because it is pretty clear that I didn't quite have the characterization of the Sides down at this point. I actually cringed while re-reading this because of how much I made both Logan and Roman out to be the villains, which was never my intent. Nowadays, I actually get a lot of comments on my stories (which I always love to read, you all are so kind) that compliment me on my capabilities with characterization. Now I have a hard time taking compliments because, I myself have depression / anxiety which constantly lead me to look down upon my creations, and that could be part of the reason I don't like this story as much. Whatever the case may be, I feel I have improved on the characterization immensely since Saddened Patton was uploaded.

Reason Two: Due to the fact that the writing is below what I would consider to be an acceptable level for me now, I dislike that it is the first story that people coming into my writings will read. I don't feel as if it really displays what I am now capable of, and I fear that it could actually turn people away because of the way I portrayed specifically Logan and Roman, but because of the writing as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that Saddened Patton is a good story; it just isn't the one that I would like to have at the beginning of my series.

Writing Tips Based On Saddened Patton:

-First and foremost, you don't need to worry about this story (or any of my others) being taken down.

· I always believe it is constructive to have older works to look back on. This allows you to see how far you have come and how much you have improved.

-Always double-check your writing.

· (I will explain this one in a bit)

-I can't stress this enough, whether you are just starting out or you're at J.K. Rowling or J.R.R Tolkien levels of experience KEEP WRITING!!!

-There are always going to be people who hate on you, ignore them; however, constructive criticism is not hate.

· Now I have some experience with this one, as I myself often try to give polite constructive criticism. This is because I started writing around the ages of 12 or 13, (Around the age that most people begin writing) and oh boy was my writing bad then. However, now I am a high-school graduate with a few college English classes under my belt and I feel as if I am in a place to where I can try to help others. I don't harp on other writers, as I feel that that too is wrong, but if the author (myself included) can learn something, that is going to help in learning to develop your skills, I believe that to be a good thing.

-EDIT, EDIT, EDIT!!!

· I know this is one that no one likes to read, but this goes for anything, if you don't practice, or go back to look at your work, you are going to miss hundreds of mistakes. Even with editing, and now having a friend who helps me to edit, I still miss things, it's not the end of the world, but your writing will improve greatly if you edit. (Later on down the line I will have more tips on how to make this easier...but I hadn't figured them out by this story yet.)

A Funny Story Concerning the Uploading of Saddened Patton:

Ironically enough...I did not double check my writing before this story was uploaded a little over a year ago, and it actually didn't come to my attention until nearly a YEAR LATER, that on all but one of the platforms I work on (Wattpad)...the story was corrupted. The last third of the story got cut out for some reason that still eludes me. It would have taken me less than fifteen minutes to notice and fix that mistake if I had just double checked...but no, I didn't, and I can only imagine how confused my readers must have been!