Chapter 14: The Pain of Assignment (Rewritten)

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Inspiration:

The Pain of Assignment is still by far my most popular (which is why I did a rewrite.)

Anyway, I have already gone over the inspiration for the original, but the rewrite was an idea that I had had in the back of my mind for quite some time. Due to the fact that I was writing from my emotions in the original, I felt that there was a lot I left out, and the story could be so much more than it originally was, and I will get into more details on that in a bit.

Something else you all might find to be interesting, The Pain of Assignment (Rewritten) was posted exactly two days after I posted Movie Nights, which isn't all that important until you stop to think that I don't upload regularly. I actually made a point for these to stories to come out back to back, Movie Nights was a nice, fluffy, middle of the road kind of story, which I posted to lure you all into a false sense of security so that you wouldn't be prepared for the emotional rollercoaster of The Pain of Assignment (Rewritten)...I can be devious when I want to be.

Overall Thoughts On The Pain of Assignment (Rewritten):

The Pain of Assignment (Rewritten) is a story that I love, partially because it was the main idea that really got me back into writing after Sleep-Walking, and because of the character development I was able to put into it. I took some of my own advice and decided that the story itself deserved more detail, something I was too heartbroken to do with the original. Also, I want to add that all of you were / are amazing with the feedback you have given me on the original and the rewrite!

Details Changed / Added Into The Pain of Assignment (Rewritten):

-Different Points of View:

· One of the things I was most intent upon in the rewrite was to include more than just Virgil's point of view, which was really all you were given in the original.

· I also knew that I wanted the ending (which was in Virgil's point of view) to be in Thomas's, something I hadn't actually tried up until that point. I felt it was more impactful that way. He was the one that stood alone after he died, separated from the Sides and his family, so I only felt it right that he be the one to explain how blissful Elysium was.

-Ages:

· A trait goes through phases that I sort of explain in the story, but here is a rundown of the cheat-sheet I had while writing The Pain of Assignment (Rewritten).

o A trait cannot be assigned until the age of twenty-one, and is require to receive AT LEAST six months to grieve for their previous host.

o Phases: Each phase is longer than the one prior, because as time goes by they grow and mature, but eventually grief takes its toll on any trait who doesn't achieve Elysium.

o The Moral Phase: A trait becomes moral on their twenty-first birthday, and remains in the moral phase until they have grieved the loss of THREE hosts. (By this point they will usually be somewhere between the ages of 200 – 500 years old, depending on the era they were born in and the life expectancy of humans during that time.)

o The Creative Phase: A trait becomes creative after the passing of their THIRD host, and remains in the creative phase until the passing of their EIGHTH host. (The creative phase is usually found in traits between the ages of 500 – 1300 years old, depending on the era they were born in and the life expectancy of humans during that time.)