Chapter 22: Personal History

SPOILER ALERT!!!

ALSO ALL TRIGGER WARNINGS FOR THE STORY PERSONAL HISTORY APPLY TO THIS EXPLAINED CHAPTER!!!

-Implied / Mentioned Suicide

-Violence

-Abuse

-Blood (Sort of)

Inspiration:

Personal History was initially a song that I created which explained some of the back story between Virgil and Deceit. (I will link that and put the lyrics at the end.) As many of you have probably guessed, I'm not exactly a Deceit sympathizer, if you are, that's cool too...but you probably didn't like this chapter too much. Back to the point, I wanted to do another story which revolved around Virgil and Deceit, but take it a bit further than The Darkness of Deceit.

Personal History was also the story where I realized that I was really dragging Vigil through the mud in some cases; that being said, there is a reason there were so many trigger warnings prefacing this story...and those somewhat apply to this explained chapter since I will go into a little detail on why I decided to take the story in the direction that I did.

Personal History's Predecessor:

The suicide trigger warning is necessary for this section.

I had thought about writing a story with much more sinister undertones for quite some time, but had held back for fear of the backlash I might receive. A LONG time ago I began work on, and nearly finished a story that was going to be titled Anxiety's Anxiety, it was written after Virgil's redemption but before the Fitting In video, so as I've said in previous chapters...Roman would have been heavily villainized, which is one of many reasons the story hasn't, and will never see the light of day.

Just so I don't lose anyone here, I will give a brief synopsis on what the story was about...after the Accepting Anxiety videos, Virgil is skeptical about whether or not the others have truly accepted him. An unfortunate string of events leads to a large falling out between him and Roman which causes Virgil to attempt suicide. (Which he survives by the way.)

Back to the point, you are probably wondering why this is important; well, a lot of the plot points that were going to be in Anxiety's Anxiety ended up being used in Personal History. For example, Virgil being gravely injured and going as Thomas to the hospital, some of the dialogue that was originally between Roman and Virgil was used with Deceit in the earlier part of the story, and Logan stepping in as a paramedic. (That last one was also used in Harsh Storm.) Ironically, the door being kicked open in Waking Nightmares was also drawn from this unpublished story.

Overall Thoughts On Personal History:

Personal History is a story that I as a writer really liked, but seeing as some of its...darker elements seem to deviate from my normal stories, it wasn't as well perceived. I don't know if this is because people generally didn't like the story or if a large portion of my readers took the warnings to heart and skipped this chapter. If you skipped it due to the trigger warnings, I am in no way blaming you for that...that's the whole reason the warnings are there. That being said, there has not been any hate towards Personal History; just what I see as a lack of interest, less comments, votes, kudos, etc.

What happened with this story; was, I was trying to test the waters with how dark I could go before losing readership. (I'll elaborate on this in the Writing Tips section.)

Explaining Decisions Made for Personal History:

-Virgil's History: