Preston's POV

The sirens don't go off. Lachlan and I are curled up on the couch in the basement. The storm makes too much noise for us to speak. But then everything becomes still. I hear Lachy's heart beating. And then it hits me.

The tornado is here. This is the calm before the storm.

A trainlike noise grows with intensity. The very ground shakes as everything gets louder and louder and louder. I hear the creaking as my house is lifted from it's foundation. I see support beams scatter about. I am in awe. I am paralyzed in fear. An immobilizing fear that keeps me from moving as a beam falls directly onto me...

I awaken in a dark place. I raise my hand up but I cannot see it. A wave of panic roars through me. I turn around to be met with a sihlouette of a man. A blue light flickers behind him. I am not sure who he is, but his presence is comforting. He steps closer to me until I can feel the warmth of his body radiating toward me. I realize how cold I am and shiver. The mysterious shadow of a man wraps his arms around me and pulls me close. His embrace is soothing. He smells a bit tangy, a hint of gentle cologne. We stay this way for some time. I sigh and think about Lachlan. Lachlan, who I last saw as my house was leveled by a giant tornado. I open my eyes and feel an all to familiar sensation. I'm falling. Down, down, down into nothingness. I realize I must be dreaming. I pinch myself hard, praying that I'll wake to see Lachlan in my arms again. I begin to open my eyes and hear a faint beep in the distance.