5 [S]

Sebestian Knight

The first thing I do is head for the battleship site. Despite the numerous times I have been beaten up regarding my commentary on battleships, my experiences inside them has given me enough knowledge to understand that where soldiers are, there will be supplies.

Ignoring the calls of my subjects seem easy enough when all that I can think about is my father's death. The scene keeps replaying in my head, the way you can't get a memory chip out of a broken camera and the rolls of films keep streaming. The way he barely made a noise as he fell down that chasm, the way his eyes grew wide and my world went at a speed of slow motion.

Though I know that my mission entails great risk, the fact that I have to run a region is inevitable. I would rather die doing something for my citizens rather than die and let them tear Atlanta to pieces.

The site is empty- a clean reflection of how I feel and as I stroll up along the green fence that acts as a barricade, I think about everything that stands in my way and the long journey that stands before me, dangerous and hazardous.

Atlanta is split into two- the Solars have control over one part of it and the Darks have control over the other side. Solars believe in using solar powered machinery and equipment and are resistant to us Darks and what we stand for. They believe in the power of daylight and this disagreement sets us apart.
Though both Solars and Darks live in something that I think can fall along the lines of harmony, tensions are still high. Everything that we Darks do affects their daylight hours- the amount of time in their side of the planet where daylight is present and vice versa for night time for us.

There are many little factors and elements that come into place where daylight hours and night time periods are involved. My father got me to sit down an intensive lesson regarding it while my classmates learnt to count and play tag. But I don't necessarily hate it. The concept of daylight hours, along with the length of time in which darkness is present, supported by the theory of Atlanta's rotation is fascinating to me.

Sometimes it feels like I was born to rule.

Once I enter the entrance to the actual site, I scan the vehicles and battleships that line the fence. They are parked in neat rows, arranged according to size and type. Deciding to check out the most recent line of models, I stroll towards the end of the line.

The battleships stands tall, their protective layer of metal gleaming as the light from the sun which now hangs high in the sky slants along their features. The exterior speaks of a quality that cannot be outmatched but I know better. The interior is falling apart and cluttered beyond imagination.

Muttering a soft prayer that I won't suffocate inside, I push against the door, allowing a shaft of light to project a yellow beam, bringing the interior of the ship to light.

The corridor is narrow which makes space for larger rooms. The first few rooms are equipped with dashboards and facilities that are protocol- emergency room and a room where the engine can be powered by dark energy.

The last few rooms are where I score bags that contain food and water. They come with a variety of tools which I sift through, searching for specific ones that I think might come in handy during my journey. I decide on a few knives and a compass which uses the stars and constellations to guide the traveller. Hoping that I will find one that has instructions for lost in daylight, I zip the bag up and sling it over my shoulder.

It's the strangest feeling- bringing the strap over my shoulder blade and feeling the fabric against my skin. I recall these bags being rather popular back when I was younger and coveting for one but never actually bringing up the subject to my father. Petrified by what he would say if he had any idea my birthday list contained this bag, I never brought the topic up.

I exit the battleship and scrounge through the others, in search for anything that would aid me in my mission. The next few ships proved to be just about as useful as the first one, with the same set of food and equipment.

Once I'm done obtaining the supplies, I make my way out of the site and head south, where the Solars live.

They might hate me. They might try to kill me if they know who I am but what other choice do I have? The Darks need me and I know how it feels like to go without your only piece of solace and comfort.

To be defenceless, vulnerable and denied the ground beneath your feet.

To be without darkness.

Word Count: 838 Words

A/N: Just bumping up my words for NaNo (: Feel free to leave your thoughts on the characters and content!

Every vote, comment and share is strongly appreciated<3