9 [E]

Edward Kenning

The room is an enclosed area, decorated with three sets of bunk beds to the side and a circular mat that sits in the midst of all the furniture. A set of tables and chairs line the other end of the room and there are twinkling lights embellished along the walls, fixed against the headboards of the beds.

Three Solars occupy the room- I recognise Kirk, the Techie from earlier who lies on one of the top bunks, his arms splayed along rhe sheets as he stared up at the ceiling, almost deep in thought. Without the burdern of all the equipment and commands from the other Techies, he looks less terrified, less awkward. More natural.

The other threw Solars consist of a two other girls. They are hunched over the desk that rests at the side of the room, heads bowed together as a flow of low chatter rises towards my direction. Clearing my throat to grasp their attention, I feel my face heat up with embarrassment.

What do I say to these people? Will they accept me, even if my stay here is temporary?

Kirk's gaze lands on me and he gives me a brief nod to acknowledge my presence before he returns to staring at the ceiling. The two girls whip their heads in my direction and upon noticing me, slipped out of their seats and padded towards me, both their hands stretched out in welcome.

"Hey," The Solar with blonde straight hair that reaches her shoulders and green eyes that shine with a sweet sincerity shoots me a smile, "I'm Ellie. We didn't really have time to introduce ourselves during dinner."

Nodding at Kirk and the other Solar's direction, she gives me a brief introduction, "That's Kirk and Martha." Martha has dark hair pulled into a tight knot and eyes with matching colours.

"I'm guessing that Alex has given your the tour and basic backstory?" Ellie questions as Martha trudges back to the desk silently, seemingly intent on finishing her work.

"Yeah. I'm still new to all this terminology and organisation, though." A flush coats my cheeks as I duck my head, almost bashful from the fact that I was new here.

"Oh, that's fine. You'll get used to it as time passes. I can tell you more about how the Salvation runs, if you like."

"Yes, please." One of the spare beds without anyone occupying both levels of the bunk has spare clothes spreaded along the sheets. Guessing that the bed is mine, I plop myself on the mattress, letting my fingers gently knead along the thin sheet and realising that despite the thickness of the fabric, it has a nice tactile feel to it.
These are expensive fabrics. More expensive than everything the cramped apartment I live in put together.

"The Salvation operates in many tiny units to avoid overcrowding in one place. We communicate and exchange information weekly to keep up with each other."

I gesture for Ellie to slide into a position beside me and she does so as she continues to speak.

"With our bunkers buried deep underground, we're safe from the public's gaze. We use code names to get our messages through and to avoid interception from the Resistance and the government. Though we aren't associated with the government, we have a few private patrons inside the government who fund us and sets out budget."

My fingers pause in their action of slowly tracing the fine threads of the fabric. "You mean some of the government people are in on this too?"

Ellie laughs as if I have just made a joke.

"Yes, Edward. Some government officials share our beliefs and values rather than the general Solar system's beliefs."

"Going back to what I said earlier, we operate in units and each unit consists of five teams- everything goes by a code name. Our cell's called Circinus and our team goes by Eta Circini."

"But... you guys aren't exactly a team, right? What with only three of you before I  came?" I ask.

I notice Martha's body draw forward when I say this and the way the muscles in her shoulders tense. It seems like I have hit a sensitive spot.

"No. We're the latest three to be recruited and the newbies are never on the same level as the long-timers." Ellie shoots me a smile but I can see that it is pained and there is more truth to her words than she's letting on.

"Each team get to go out on operations with assistance from the members of the team. Since we aren't a complete unit, we haven't really gotten any good assignments."

"These operations will earn us points the team with the most points usually get the best operations."

From the desk, Martha whirls the chair around to face me and Ellie. Almost as if she has been hooked by the subject, Martha continues, "Since we don't have a full team, we don't have operations and since we don't have operations, we mostly just get teased and pushed around. And we get to do the duties no one wants to do."

Rolling her eyes, Martha stretches her arms over her head and I detect something that engenders the crude tone in which she says this with.

"This sounds like more than what I came here to get." I mumble but Ellie catches it.

"Your brother, right? That's what you came here for? That's what everybody's been talking about these past few days- the key in the Resistance's big mission."

I groan, bringing my hands over my face to hide the emotions that creep along my features, "Is that how all of you seem to know my name? I'm just unknowingly famous here?"

Ellie chuckles softly while Martha says nothing. From the top bunker closest to the door, Kirt makes his way down to the ground on the rickety ladder that is draped along the bed frame.

Just as his feet makes contact with the floor, the door leading to our room swings wide open to reveal Alex. There is something that resembles a taunting look on his face, scrawled with a hint of disdain.

"Time for washroom duties, babies."

Ellie groans softly but turns to me with a smile that seems to be struggling to stay on, "You shouldn't have to do the duties tonight- you just came. If you can wash up, the rest of us can get on with our duties."

Returning her statement with a sympathetic nod, I grab the clothing that has been laid along the bed sheets and head for the exit.

"Down the passage, the fifth door on your left." Alex says as I pass him and when none of my team members are within his earshot, he lowers his face so that he's to my level and whispers in my ear.

"Your brother might be your only saving grace, kid. If you're in this team, there's no way you can climb to the top."

Word Count: 1167 (622+545)

A/N: Now that my exams are over for this year and tomorrow is my last day of school, I'm gonna have more time to work on my #NaNoWriMo project! (:

Leave a comment! Every vote, comment and share is appreciated, as always<3