18 [E]

Edward Kenning

We're back in team Eta's bunker but the lack of evidence to suppport the claims I have already came up in my mind is just as disturbing as the research room.

"Edward? Do you need some time to be by yourself?"

The oxygen that spins in my lungs doesn't feel like it's being circulated fast enough to the rest of my body and suddenly, the lights sprinkled around the room become blinding. The rays dig into my vision and strips of yellow flare up along the room, making me dizzy. I don't say a word, I just keep staring at how bright the solar energy is, blinking in an innocent manner but bleaching my vision, at the same.

"I'm fine." I don't even know how but my voice is still working. The words sound as if they are being choked from my lungs as I rest my face against the bedsheets, trying to hide from the playful lights that still seep across the walls, threatening to turn the coloured world I have known into an ocean of white.

"Edward-" Ellie's soft fingers are gently running along the length of my back, coaxing an honest answer but I'm at a loss. And I don't want to be near anyone now.

"Don't touch me." The suspiration of my breaths become ragged as I jerk away from Ellie's touch, forcing my body into a ball.

"Leave him be." Kirk's voice is cool and calm as opposed to the frantic way my heart slams against my chest, the painful impact edging on the tears already developing in my eyes.

There's silence and when I think that they have left, I hear the slam of a door making contact with the cave's wall.

Twisting my body so that my vision is angled towards the door, I blink the tears away and squint at the figure slanted against the frame of the door.

It isn't Ellie and it isn't Kirk.

It's Martha. With her dark eyes and narrowed gaze, with her lips pulled into a pout and arms folded across her chest.

"You." It takes every breath in my lungs but I manage to say the word. It's the strangest feeling- the word is able to ooze an innumerable amount of hate and loathe at the same time. It's a word drenched in equal amounts of spite and anger.

Slowly drawing my body into a position that is stiff and unforgiving, I drop onto the floor on my feet, the hard contact sending a jarring shock through my body. Still, I don't make a move. All I feel is a numbness, hollowed out by the current of emotions swashing through my blood.

"Edward." Martha returns softly. The lights are no longer bright, they become a hazy dim glow in comparism to the red that bleeds into my vision, that causes her unmoving figure and the elements around to sway.

"I'm going to kill you." Slow and steady, my words capture an essence of truth.

"Edward, just listen-"

"I'M GOING TO KILL YOU!" My world explodes in a frenzy of blood red as I streak towards her figure and ram against the door violently. The pain that sears across my fingers isn't enough to chase away the hot flash of vexation away and I grip Martha by her shoulders, firmly pinning her to the door.

"EDWARD, GET OFF HER!" I can feel Kirk and Ellie struggling to pull me off Martha but I'm far too overwhelmed by the feelings that have been hoarded inside my chest. Firmly not budging, I dig my nails into her shoulder caps until she shrieks as I can see the slightest hint of blood being drawn as my nails tear into her skin.

"What did he want with you? Why didn't you tell me?" I demand, seething with rage as I pour my emotions out, driving her shoulder blades against the wall so deep that the friction beteeen them is immense.

"Let- me- go!" Martha chokes, wriggling against my tight clutches. Exhausted, I pull out and allow Ellie and Kirk to roughly yank me off her. The residue of hatred continues to claw at my lungs, fighting to fester in my chest as I back away from Martha and catch my breath.

"I'm taking Martha to the infirmary to check if she has retained any injuries. You keep any eye on Edward." Ellie directs a frightened looking Kirk as she pulls Martha out of the room and into the corridor. Feeling the unsettled gaze of Kirk land on me, I stomp to my bed and slide into it, pulling the covers over my head.

Right now, I don't want to see anybody.

Right now, I just need to be set free.

Word Count: 791 Words

A/N: I know this is a short chapter, sorry! But bear with me, I promise longer ones are coming soon! (:

Feedback is highly encouraged and greatly appreciated!