17 [S]

Sebestian Knight

My knuckles begin to go white with the pressure that I exert on the wheel. Though the vehicle is moving at a ridiculously fast pace, I can'y shake off the anxieties and fear that clings onto my skin and refuses to be scratched off.

I'm worried for what will happen to Edward. But I can't stay close to him, too. I need to head my own way and move on. His presence shouldn't be affecting me the way it already has and I need to focus on the main task at hand- going back to rightfully claim the title of king of the Dark system. With all this information falling squarely into my lap regarding the Salvation and Resistance, I will be able to control the Dark system properly.

The curse that has been etched along the art piece is now tucked underneath my arm, the edge of the landscape digging into my skin uncomfortably. Still, I refuse to let it slip out of my sight. After converting the solar energy in the car into dark energy, I was able to fix the vehicle and drive off. Unbeknownst to Edward a few hours ago, there is a map installed in the vehicle's system that reveals both Solar and Dark systems. Now, I follow the route that has been specifically stated to direct me to the address I desire to be.

My position in the driver's seat is stiff and my posture is awfully straight, pressed right against the seatback cover. The worry doesn't seem to be seeping away from my veins anytime sooner and I can't help but wonder if it is linked with Edward.

Edward, with his crazy bright blue eyes and innocent smile.

I quickly dismiss the idea and fixate my concentration back to driving. I'm beginning to enter a developed part of the Dark system- tall, dark buildings are erected along the ground and I recognise this part of the system as one of the most popular areas for developments. I take a logical estimate and conclude that I am nearing the palace.

Soon, the palace slides into view and I slip the vehicle into a parking space just by the empty lot before the gigantic castle. I exit the vehicle and start to make my way towards the entrance where I catch sight of servants and guards scattering about in a flock, moving as if it's a regular day. One by one, they begin to notice me. Smiles start to stretch across their faces as they catch sight of me and the loss of tension in the environment in palpable.

"The King's back!"

"'The President's here!"

All around me, the shouts arise. The joy that the Darks' faces spell out, that they scream out as they dash towards me in a manner of great respect and admiration, is tangible. But as much as their happiness sings out, surrounding me in a bubble of eventual tranquility, my mind can't help but wander to Edward. To team Eta and the members of it.

I can't help but wonder if I have made a grave mistake.

☆ ☆ ☆

Charts of moon cycles and Atlanta's geographical traits all lie scattered along my desk. Pictures of the cracked landscape and words after words of the moon's curvature and roundness are stamped along sheets of paper that billow across my table. The mess makes my head spin as I loop my fingers along the detailed pattern catved against the wooden panel of the table.

I don't want to look at any of it now. I want to pretend that I'm back with tean Eta for that one day, training and leaping, fighting with a sword. I want to disappear down that tunnel of memories that doesn't seem to dissipate.

The sigh leaves my lungs which feel hollow as I stretch out in my seat, wishing for the thrill of adrenaline to surge through my veins. To feel that rush if excitement that I got when I jumped off the metals course.

It's crazy and I shouldn't be thinking about it but the thoughts manage to find a hole into my mind and they dribble through, pervading every corner of my brain and hindering my work progress.

I made a mistake.

I need to go back.

I need to return and see Edward's face- full with a youth that I want, full with an innocence that I feel an unwavering, unexplainable need to defend and protect. Even if it's adolescent infatuation, I want to see it. I have to know that he's alright without me holding him, with the weight of the world tearing him apart.

I want to see Ellie and Kirk. Hear another of Martha's petty comment.

Maybe I'm not meant to be a Dark. The thought causes a sour taste to fill my mouth but there's a strange chant that my heart chimes that resounds with the fading stacato of my thoughts that beg for me to return to unit Circinus, Dark or not.

Maybe this is all wrong. Maybe planet Atlanta shouldn't be divided into such politics of solar and dark energy. Maybe the answer is the peaceful coexistence where we are all bounded by the same environment, where we live together.

After all, doesn't the main reason behind the Resistance stem from such politics? As I scribble my thought onto a sheet of paper, my hands shake with excitement. The ink spills along the white paper, stained by the side of my hands but for once, I don't care about penmanship. I don't care that the style isn't cursive enough, that the manner doesn't read as a sophisticated print.

Maybe this is what planet Atlanta needs- peace between the two systems. As I complete penning down my idea, the door to my room swings open and the General stomps in, his face a picture of contempt and anger. His arms shake furiously by his sides and his nose is scrunched up with annoyance.

"What's the matter?" I ask cooly. The memory of his hand making contact with my cheek nd the stinging sensation is not one that I am likely to forget soon.

"Sir, I'm going to request for your permission."

"Permission for what?" The question leaves my mouth before I can stop it but even before the General answers, a part of me already knows the response.

"I'm going to need your permission to bomb the Solar system."

Word Count: 1071 Words

A/N: I know this is probably sounding super rushed but I promise you, it's only because of #NaNoWriMo. I wish someone was reading this book other than me >_<

All feedback is highly encouraged and greatly appreciated! (: