ONE: HIDING IN THE SHADOWS

COULD DEMONS LOVE? Just last night, Eve had been a mere infant

COULD DEMONS LOVE? Just last night, Eve had been a mere infant. When Asmodeus had checked on her that morning, she had grown into a young child, no older than six. It has only been four months since the halfling has been born, and he found himself wishing he had had more time with her as a small babe.

She wasn't like other infants. She didn't wail or scream, simply looked around whatever room she was in, taking everything in. It was almost as if she was already capable of cognition.

Only months ago had Lucifer burned his mark onto the girl's skin. Not the same place as his son's – hers needed to be hidden until the time was right. Hers was located on her upper rib cage, skillfully hidden so that only one who was intimate with her would know where to look. A ritual was performed on the girl to ensure her safety and strength in the oncoming years. She would need it for the rigorous training he, her father, and Madame Voyait would give her. She needed all the power she could get to fix the despicable world above. The Dark Lord already knew of her great strength, but he needed to ensure that no one could top her abilities, not even his own son. Lucifer had hand selected Asmodeus to be her father for a reason, and Asmodeus knew it too.

Eve's father decided it was time to show her the human world, perhaps show her the boy she was destined to destroy the world with. He would show her how foul the human race is, make it known that despite her lineage, she is nothing like them.

Humans are weak. They're pitiful, they lack control. They would fight tooth and nail against each other just to come up out at the top. They needed to know their place.

The world needed a cleansing. Its filth needed to be removed.

The world needed Eve Hart and Michael Langdon.

-

"You need to promise me something, Little One." Asmodeus spoke as they stopped at the end of the street that lead to the Murder House. His daughter looked up at him, nodding for him to continue. "Stay with me. Do not let go of my hand unless I say. Obey my every word. It isn't safe for you to be alone in this realm yet."

The little girl nodded, pigtails and curls bouncing with her movements. "Okay, daddy." she said, clinging on to his hand.

The two continued on, following the path the sidewalk provided them. Upon reaching the home neighboring the Murder House, Eve took notice of the beautiful rose bushes.

"Those are some pretty flowers, miss." Eve spoke, shooting a smile to the older woman who was gardening.

Constance Langdon startled, having not heard the two approach. "Thank you, dear." she said, allowing her a smile. Her eyes followed up the girl's frame and found her father's eyes. "Are you new around here?" she asked, standing up and dusting off.