THREE: POWER PLAY

"THEY TOTALLY THINK YOU'RE A WARLOCK," Eve said, laughing to herself

He laughed with her, smiling genuinely for what felt like the first time. Things had been well lately and all he wanted was to do everything he could to remember these moments forever, because good things never lasted for Michael Langdon.

This had been their routine since they had met. The two would wake an hour before he had to be present for lessons and whatever else the warlocks deemed necessary, and in between then and the evening Eve would spend time practicing with her own powers, and when Michael came back they'd talk until they fell asleep in each other's arms.

With a sigh, the boy got up and got dressed in his uniform. "Will you watch today?" he asked, glancing at her in the mirror.

The girl shrugged. "Do you want me to?"

"I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want you to." he scoffed.

"I guess you can find me in the shadows today."

-

"To begin, each warlock at our school is assigned a level 1-4 according to their talents and their strength of their powers."

"Are you all Level Fours?" Michael asked, his gaze sweeping the men in front of him.

Eve smiled as they all gave him the same answer: No. She understood what Madame Voyait meant much more now about their destinies. He would outrank all of these men and their students.

"A level four would mean a warlock that is categorized as powerful as the female Supreme." Ariel continued. "He would be the one we call the Alpha."

A coy smile played upon his lips. That's you, Eve thought out, directing it telepathically to Michael, that's going to be you.

"We shouldn't burden the boy with theory." John Henry Moore spoke. "In the history of the coven theres never been a level four warlock."

His smile fell and his expression hardened. Are you sure? He shot back, reaching out to the newly discovered link between their minds for comfort.

Positive.

"Let's see if he can pass Level One."

His first task was scrying, something he'd seen Eve do many times before with a pocket mirror. It came naturally to her, having been trained by a Seer. She made it look so simple.

"All you need to do is tell us where we hid a particular book. The –"

"New Adam and Eve," he finished for Baldwin Pennypacker, "by Hawthorne, first edition."