TWO: NOT HOGWARTS

SHE HAD GROWN EVEN MORE SO

SHE HAD GROWN EVEN MORE SO. She caught up quick. She could no longer easily hide in small spaces, but she did her best to remain out of view as she trailed Michael Langdon through the local grocery store. She made sure to blend in, to look like a normal human. She couldn't exactly wear a cloak during this time of year in L.A. and not be looked like a vampire obsessed freak.

Madame Voyait had taught her how to use a scrying glass, allowing her to track the dark boy in the aisle next to her. There will be a day when you need this more than I, she had said. There will be a day where I am not there to help guide you. Madame had taught her other things that her father and Lucifer could not. The Seer had also gifted her some of her Sight, allowing her small glimpses into the immediate future. She was a mother, in a way, to the halfling. She had also told her it was time for her to start living in the human realm. Something was going to happen to the boy, and she was to continue to track him down thereafter.

Eve already adored Michael. She had snuck out of Hell multiple times – much to her father's disappointment – to watch on him while he stayed with Miss Mead, hiding in the shadows so he could not see her. He had sensed her darkness though he could not find the source. It did not bring him fear but instead gave him comfort. Whatever being that was hidden from his view had no ill intentions – this being was not like his biological family. This entity was there to protect him. It made him feel warmth, one similar to his own. Mead felt it too, in a way – Michael enjoyed the heat on full blast even in the dead of California summers, but she had noticed the heat had increased tenfold. She knew it had nothing to do with the thermostat – she had checked so herself, noting there was no change in the preset temperature of their home. But yet, she did not feel any worry or paranoia. She couldn't feel the entity that her boy had noticed, but she felt a strange comfort in the newfound heat in their home.

Eve faked interest in the assortment of sauces and pastas in front of her, listening to Mead argue with the employee behind the counter about giving her a whole goat's head.

"You're not understanding what I want!" she said in between claps. "I don't want goat meat, I want a goat's head!"

Having heard the excitement, Michael made his way towards his maternal figure. He paused for a single second upon spotting Eve in the aisle beside Miriam's. A familiar warmth passed over him, urging him to introduce himself. He ignored it and continued on towards the yelling.

"I need it for my incantations!"

"I can't sell you that." the man behind the counter tried to explain.

"Why?" Mead asked him, placing her hands on her hips, "Are you only butchering headless goats?"

The girl had a stifle a laugh. Yeah, plot twist, she thought to herself, Thomasin's father actually did end up attempting to kill Black Phillip but he survived getting his head cut off. Surprise!