Chapter 6 - Week three of sophomore year

I was peacefully sitting in my French class, when I suddenly got summoned to the principal's office. I don't remember doing anything wrong, but who knows? Maybe there's a new Nita in school who causes trouble.

I walk to the principal's office, and Cheryl, his secretary, smiles at me, encouraging me to enter. I knock on the door, and wait to be allowed inside. Upon entering, I don't just find the principal sitting in his chair, but also my dad, and another man. I have never seen him before, but he seems important. Dad smiles at me, but I withhold mine.

"Tris please, take a seat," the principal says, gesturing toward the chair between my dad and the stranger.

"No, thank you. I'd rather stand," I say, and walk toward the window. I turn so I can face the three men, and wait for one of them to explain what this is all about.

As if on cue, the principal explains that the stranger sitting next to Dad is a scout from MIT. Mr. Monroe, a member of the academic board there, has been monitoring my academic evolution ever since FDR Academy – the military school I attended during middle school. MIT is very interested in me, and it appears the men discussed even graduating me early from high school so I could attend college.

"What do you say, Ms. Prior?"

"No, thank you," I say, my expression still serious. Perplexed, all three of them look at me as if I have lost my mind.

"I don't understand. Isn't this good news, Tris?" Principal Kang asks.

"Perhaps, Ms. Prior is concerned about the tuition," Mr. Monroe says, and looks slightly at Dad, who nods, and continues.

"MIT is offering you a full scholarship, honey," Dad says. That really sounds tempting. I turn my back to them, needing to be alone with my own thoughts for a minute. Thankfully, none of them say anything, sensing I need to process this new and exciting information. I don't care if MIT offers to pay for my studies. Even if Mom and Dad wouldn't pay themselves, I have my own money, even if no one but me knows it. I don't have to rely on anyone to get stuff done. It is a great opportunity, I admit, but I don't want to graduate early. And there is always the issue with Dad. He was just as excited when I told my parents about NASA, only for him to change his mind.

"Thank you, Mr. Monroe, for your interest in me. But I must respectfully decline your offer," I say without turning around.

"What?" Dad asks.

"May I ask why?" Mr. Monroe asks, confused.

"You may," I say, and turn around to face them again. "I have absolutely no intention of graduating early. All my friends are here, and my parents insisted last year that I should experience high school like any other teenage girl. I agreed with their logic. If I didn't, I could have been at FDR Academy right now, and not here."

"But, baby girl, this is a great opportunity," Dad argues, obviously not understanding my logic.

"Is it?" I ask somewhat sarcastically. "So was that internship, yet you took it away, despite the obvious enthusiasm I showed for it. If anything, I'm sparing myself another disappointment. I would hate to get all excited about college, and then have it taken away from me," I say as coldly as I can possibly muster. Both the principal and Mr. Monroe look at me flabbergasted, while Dad looks hurt, but also remorseful.

"I wouldn't," Dad starts saying.

"What? Change your mind?" I ask, and tilt my head as if I was talking to a little child trying to lie its way out of something. "I'd rather not risk it. Thank you once again, Mr. Monroe, and I'm sorry you made the journey here for nothing," I say, as I extend my hand for the MIT representative to shake. I excuse myself, and leave the principal's office without looking back.