Chapter 22 - Aftermath

It has been a month since that fateful day in May, when 36 people lost their lives. A month since the lives of those who survived the mass shooting turned upside down and inside out. Everyone is trying to cope, move on with their lives, but each day I returned to Logan High was a reminder of what was lost.

For us seniors today would be the last day entering this school. Today we graduate and say goodbye to a very important chapter in our lives.

I am that glad I am not this year's valedictorian. Thankfully, that 'honor' went to my friend Marlene Eaton. She deserves it. No one better could have been chosen for it. I am really proud of her, Lynn and Uriah. We've all worked hard and went through hell to get here.

The mass shooting from a month ago is still very much present in all of us, but we have to move on. We received a second chance and we need to seize it and make the most of it. Will life be tough from here on out? Of course, it will. We have grown, though, and are somewhat ready to face new challenges and adventures.

The majority of my classmates will go to college, but I have decided not to. I have checked out the best colleges in the country and even abroad, and frankly, there's nothing any of these schools could teach me that I don't already know. My inventions and tech are years ahead of anything anyone teaches at the moment. Besides, thanks to Dauntless Industries I met a lot of scientists worldwide who are more than willing to share their knowledge with me, as long as I share mine with them. They are all at the top of their respective fields and the best source to learn.

As for the management part of my company, grandpa is still in charge, but I know that I'll have to look for someone else soon. However, that's a problem for another time.

On the night of the shooting, the Logan High students gathered in front of the school for a vigil. It wasn't even something we had planned. A few of us wanted to go back there, and say goodbye to those we have lost. I haven't even told my parents because they were already worried sick because I refused to rest.

After everything was wrapped up in school, I went with Dad to the hospitals where the eight surviving victims were taken to be treated. I had already explained to the paramedics who took them that I injected them with nanobots, but I wasn't sure they even understood what I was saying. Nevertheless, I wanted to go and check for myself that they are alright. Thankfully, all eight were doing fine, and I had some interesting conversations with the surgeons who operated on them. They were impressed by the nanobots, and admitted that without the little microscopic helpers, at least five out of the eight injured would have most likely bled out. I went to visit each and every one of them, wanting to explain to them what I injected into their bodies and that the bots would be eliminated naturally within 24 hours.

It took Dad a lot of convincing to get me home, and once I was there I was bombarded by Mom and Shauna. I understood Mom, but Shauna looked devastated and I couldn't understand why.

"Don't you hate me?" I had asked her, genuinely surprised by her reaction.

"Of course, not. Tris, I'm so sorry for all the mean things I did and said to you. I was so jealous and wanted to hurt you. I'm so, so sorry," she pleaded while crying her eyes out. I was too exhausted to process her remorse, and told my family I would go take a shower, and go to sleep. They didn't even question me, and let me go.

After I showered, and went to my room, I texted my friends, telling them that the eight surviving victims are all well, and will make a full recovery. It was then when Lynn told me about the vigil, and asked if I wanted to join. I didn't even think twice about it, and said I would meet them at the curb.

I was surprised to see Tobias, though. Knowing that there was no chance to convince either of us to give up on the idea of going, he offered to drive us, if for nothing more than make sure we were okay. I got in the back next to Lynn, who was then squeezed between me and Uriah, while Marlene sat in the front.